Advice (hunting rights)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrinkYourMilkshake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I need some advice.

My father and I have acquired rights to hunt land around the Calumet area. The land is not tribal land, but is tribal trust. There is only one owner (rare, I know), and we have his exclusive permission to hunt the land. The person leasing the land is aware that we have permission, and we have expressed to him that the only person allowed to hunt or grant permission to hunt is the land owner (this is also a pretty basic part of the least concerning tribal trust land).

This past fall, instead of hunting the land, my father and I continued to hunt land we usually hunt up by Geary, but on the way out, we "scouted" this land around Calumet both before and after our runs. We noticed, one evening, that the land at Calumet was being hunted. The guy leasing the land states that he has not hunted this area in a couple years (which when he did, it was illegal, but that's neither here not there).

I looked up the GW for the area, but I guess the most recent guy passed away and the area is currently without a GW. Locals we know said to contact county level, and they seemed disinterested.

Father and I want to start working this land... setting up a blind et al. I'm no chicken, but I also don't really like confrontation. Nor do I want to be "that guy" that call BIA police.

We think, with about 95% certainty that the people hunting this land is by permission of the person leasing. I know this seems like *****-footing around, but I just want to be able to hunt the land I have rights to without worrying about someone getting pissy about it because they don't understand the law. We (dad and I) are also pretty lax in "sharing the land" and don't really mind other people hunting there as long as they realize we are the defacto "caretakers" of the wildlife (for what it's worth, we are pretty much that as the landowner has basically said this is for our family to treat as our own when it comes to hunting... my dad took care of the landowner when it came to protecting his rights to the land etc).

Hope you can read into what I am asking in advice... just want to hunt it peacefully without the stress of confrontation. Damn shame anyone has to deal with stuff like that, but I know it happens... we normally hunt our own land in western oklahoma and out of state, or friends land up north of Geary, so we sort of feel like the outsiders in the area if you can smell what I'm stepping in.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've done several years worth of BIA wild land firefighting over the years, mostly doing controlled burns on a rotating schedule of their trust lands. I can't tell you how many times we'd find deer stands and deer feeders on a property when doing preburn prep work. So either at least one of the owners, or whoever was leasing it to farm/ranch would be contacted..........and 99% of the time, they had no idea that anyone was hunting it. This happened several times every spring.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can call the neighboring county game warden or the regions Lieutenant. Possibly Blaine or Caddo county game warden. Either way, you will probably need some documentation of permission, if the landowner doesn't want to handle the trespassing issue.

The agriculture/grazing lease holder may not be giving permission, somebody could be just slipping in.

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
With tribal in the equation there is only one answer. image.jpg

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong but if the land is leased to someone else generally that person has the right to allow or refuse the hunting as he has a lease that puts them in control. The owner can not allow someone else to hunt the land.

To me it would be kinda like renting a house to someone and then telling my buddy he can go sleep in a bedroom upstairs.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It all depends on the lease agreement have seen several where the leasee cant hunt or let anyone hunt on the land but the owner can lease the hunting rights to someone else

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong but if the land is leased to someone else generally that person has the right to allow or refuse the hunting as he has a lease that puts them in control. The owner can not allow someone else to hunt the land.

To me it would be kinda like renting a house to someone and then telling my buddy he can go sleep in a bedroom upstairs.

That totally depends on how the lease agreement is written. In general I have noticed in farm country that is correct, the farmer leasing the crop ground controls everything. BUT in ranch country I have noticed it is often the opposite. The rancher leasing the pasture has ONLY grazing/haying rights and nothing else. I know in Payne county, ranch country, the vast majority of grazing leases are for pasture rights only. That's the way our property is an that's the way all the landowners I know have it. However, it totally depends on the agreement between the leaser and leasee.

Latest posts

Top Bottom