Alaska photobomb thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, very jealous. Alaska is my dream destination. I want to drive there and stay few months.

Do it! From my old place in Piedmont to our place in Anchorage it's 4300 road miles. Instead of taking the Alcan Highway north from Prince George head west and take the Cassiar Highway north. It's about 20 times more senic. It links back up with the Alcan just west of Watson Lake. Drop me a line if you've got questions. I've made at least 20 round trips from AK to OK and they are never the same. Don't do it in the winter. It's just not fun. Nothing fun about 55 degrees below zero.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do it! From my old place in Piedmont to our place in Anchorage it's 4300 road miles. Instead of taking the Alcan Highway north from Prince George head west and take the Cassiar Highway north. It's about 20 times more senic. It links back up with the Alcan just west of Watson Lake. Drop me a line if you've got questions. I've made at least 20 round trips from AK to OK and they are never the same. Don't do it in the winter. It's just not fun. Nothing fun about 55 degrees below zero.

Thanks for the tip. Hopefully the trip will be sooner than later.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, Seedy.

First of all, this picture of this lady was taken in Denali National Park. Private vehicles were only allowed so far into the park. To get further in, one had to be on one of the many tour buses. We were extremely lucky that this lady decided to cross the road right in front of our bus. The driver stopped to let us watch her. We were warned to not talk and not put our heads or arms outside of the windows. They didn't want to get the bears to associate the buses with humans. She started digging into the embankment and I happened to be in a good spot on the bus to get several shots. She was digging for a ground squirrel. We eventually had to move on so other buses of folks could check her out. (At that point, there were four buses stopped for the lady.)

On Skagway's Yukon and White Pass summit train excursion:

Look at that "teenie-weenie" little bridge in the lower center of the picture. That gives this some perspective.

All those were taken with my previous camera, which still resides in my camera bag as a back-up, and is a Nikon Coolpix 5700.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, AJ. The lighting really wasn't the best for those photos. I've certainly got better ones. However, we are currently on vacation in Colorado Springs, and thus I'm away from my external hard drive and back up disks that have my Alaska photos. So, we'll have to wait until I get back home before I can post some more. If this thread "falls off" by then, maybe we'll need to start an Alaska pics thread over in the category for photos. It might not "fall off" quite so fast over there.

I did find one more that was out on my blog that I took while on the cruise portion of our trip. While this one is not my best of the series of ones I took on this occasion, it demonstrates an oddity with digital cameras. At the time of the photo, the colors of water and sky and all were a combination of blues and greys. In one photo, I noticed a tinge of gold color in the lower left hand corner of my viewfinder. When I turned to my left (towards that color), all the colors in my viewfinder changed to shades of gold. I call that series of photos my gift from God. Yeah, I know, there will be those that say it was just an oddity of the light hitting the camera's sensors right. But, I think differently. Anyway, I was so extremely blessed to have a fishing boat in the picture and not just water and islands.

dscn1920.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom