Already time to rattle and grunt?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spooncg33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know its very early in the season, but with the cold weather this week do you think it'll kick start the bucks into a little more activity then usual, or is it still to early to grunt and rattle randomly throughout the day possibly spooking off any good deer?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Where I hunt the buck/doe ratio is so out of whack I've never had any luck rattling. Had more run from a grunt call than come to it. I've got a friend who hunts about 70 miles SW of me, and he has gotten several super bucks to close the deal by grunting. Think it's pretty location particular.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't know if it would spook them or not but I sat there this evening watching 6-8 bucks eating together and there was always two of them locked up seemed like, different ones at different times. Coolest thing I've seen in a while! All within 100-150 yards of me.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The weather has nothing to do with breeding cycles so on that point I'd say no.
I watched two bucks go at it last night but I would still hold off tile the end of the month before I put any horns together or use any type of aggressive grunt or snort wheeze. I usually wait til second weekend of ML before I use any of that.

Okie4570, we have had a lot of luck rattling in our area. Grunts have never seemed to do much (probably to quiet or tye longer ranges out there) but I've also had bucks come in scream'n mad doing a snort wheeze.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i've never had any luck with it period. i did use a doe bleat last year and the boss doe came in within minutes to check it out.

you guys will think i'm going crazy here but this morning i thought for sure i heard a buck breeding a doe! i hunt near a creek, heard two sets of something cross, then a noise like forrest gump imitating his principal(look it up) and then one set of tracks cross back. i was thinking "no way" but i've seen and heard it before. young forrest does a pretty good likeness!

bowhunter34

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I got to my stand this evening around 4:30. After getting setup I grunted 3 times then rattled real lite for about a minute and within seconds I had a small buck run in looking. I'd say its getting closer, mostly the little bucks might react like mine did I say this early.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tried a few grunts and lite rattling yesterday morning and afternoon. Didn't even hear anything attempt to swing by. Could have been location, could have been a lot of things...

Latest posts

Top Bottom