any fossil guys on here? I need some help identifying one. "Rock not watches"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's Stigmaria root, there are a ton of them around Inola. Basically the ancient tree species rotted away and sandstone filled in that void. They are a fossil cast of the root.

Thanks man, we did find a huge two handed scraper in the creek that day too. it is almost 12" long flat semicircle worked along the straight edge.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks man, we did find a huge two handed scraper in the creek that day too. it is almost 12" long flat semicircle worked along the straight edge.

That would be one helluva scraper! Most likely it's an improvised butchering tool for disarticulation or such. Most stone scrapers are pretty small, many of them were hafted. Are you finding much debitage / waste flakes (sharp flint shards that resemble potato chips) in the area?

A friend of mine owns some land outside of Inola where he's found a lot of sandstone Stigmaria root. He made a flowerbed lined with it, looks pretty kewl!

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Havent had time to really look around. was putting out trail cams and some deer foods =] I will look a little closer the next time I get out there though. I know there are some points around there.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's something I need to do soon (cam, etc), but it's too damned hot for me to get much motivation right now. Good luck on the pointy-rock search! I've been finding some, what little time I can find to get out.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you just live up the road from our family farm in LG. I have found a few on top of a ridge by a small spring/creek in the woods behind out house. but nothing spectacular.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
here are some pictures of the so called scraper lol. it looks like it was chiseled on almost like letters so I inverted the colors but still couldn't tell anything.

[Broken External Image]
By dubschops at 2012-07-31
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom