Any guys here clean guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.castbullet.com/misc/tdown.htm

If you do it yourself... make sure you have a good set of GUNSMITHS SCREWDRIVERS.

I have taken a few pre war Winchesters apart... about the only part that causes real trouble is the magazine tube. Those need to be swabbed out every 80 years or so. I bet your 50's version could be cleaned well enough by cracking the action open and going after the innards with spray solvents, rags, old toothbrushes and fingers.

When I work on a Winchester lever that needs a little more attention... I pull the buttstock.. hose out the guts with a good solvent and blow it out with compressed air. Oil up the moving parts and go shooting.

Amen to that.

How about the Winchester 1897's? I had a couple about a year ago come to me that had been sitting in an attic for about 70 years and they were dang near welded shut... they sure cleaned up well, but boy did it take a lot of elbow grease.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
who's you gunsmith b-bunny....how much does he charge???

GlockCop ...

her hubby would be my guess....and I'm sure you don't wanna know what he charges :pms2:

:pms2: Pretty much ...

Oh I see makes more sense now

You know, I am pretty sure if you wanted to meet us at Banner sometime he would be glad to show you how if you don't know. If you know and just don't want to fool with it yourself, though, I am gonna say that Stan (Traxxis) is your man.

He likes cleaning guns and will do it for co-workers sometimes and me always but that is about the limit of his "outside" work. He is too busy reloading boollleetts so I can shoot ... :sunbath:

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Amen to that.

How about the Winchester 1897's? I had a couple about a year ago come to me that had been sitting in an attic for about 70 years and they were dang near welded shut... they sure cleaned up well, but boy did it take a lot of elbow grease.

Wow..those '97's have more tiny parts and gee- haws inside than you can shake a stick at. Brownells and the other supply houses sell screw driver sets for the odd screws John Browning used in that shotgun.

If I had one that was locked up with dustbunnies and dinosaur crap I'd probably shuck the butt stock and hang the action in a vat of mineral spirits or Transmission fluid for a long week end and have at it later.

It's amazing how bad some of those old guns can get.. and still work after a little TLC goodness comes their way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom