Any Preppers Using Pellet Air Rifles?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieBoogaloo

The Trees are Whisperin
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Keeping air rifles in the preps is actually smart. My option was cross bows, but I hadn't thought about it til i read this all that much.

Lets say you have kids that are air rifle age. They can be more useful when it comes to small game hunting or even rodent/stray animal control.

it also gives something more useful for just plinking for the younger crowd to build skills.

Larger air rifles can be utilized for more legit hunting needs that will also keep noise levels down to avoid attracting others - AND preserve your ammo supply.

Very smart.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I were a prepper,,,
I would have an arsenal of quality air rifles.

If nothing else they could propel,,,
Hand carved wooden darts at squirrels.

I know this because when I was a kid,,,
I used to cut one end off a Q-tip,,,
And stick a needle in it.

They came out of my .22 caliber Crossman like lightning,,,
Reasonably accurate at 25-30 feet distance

I also did carve some wooden bullets and tried them,,,
They were very inaccurate past 15 -20 feet,,,
But I did kill a pigeon with one.

In any long term survival situation,,,
Ammo is your weakest link.

Pellets are cheap enough to stock thousands and thousands,,,
And they don't deteriorate with age,,,
Maybe a bit of oxidation is all.

Just my thought.

Aarond

Johnjosiah

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At short range they can penetrate a human skull and travel an amazing distance through a human liver. Typically younger folk that may not have the body mass or bone density of older adults, but still impressive.

Red Dirt Walker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not going to read through 5 pages of comments, but I have looked into an air rifle for small game vs .22 and come to the conclusion that a .22 rifle with subsonic ammo is better and because it is a normal .22, it can shoot a .22 LR also.
If you are looking for quiet, the .22 subsonic is just as quiet and depending on the air rifle quieter. Throw a can on the .22 rifle and its stupid quiet.
A .22 also doesn't have to be pumped up or worry about charging a pressure canister for it.

Just my 2 cents

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
During a SHTF situation pests like rats and pigeons might look pretty tasty.
Dear old Dad had racked up over 80 squirrels, a few coons and possums before he finally got where he couldn't get from his chair to the back door with his pellet gun. (this at 61st and Memorial, nice neighborhood)

Ain't a thing wrong with fried squirrel, and the old ones make great gumbo.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have five air rifles currently and I live in a addition where there is no place to shoot so have to improvise.
I open the side garage door entry and place a target on a retaining wall, back up as far as I can in the garage and fire away. That gives me around 30 feet or so from the target. Not far enough but keeps me active.

Latest posts

Top Bottom