Anybody do any winterizing to their in ground sprinkler system?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use mine to water flower beds in the winter on warmer days. In 15 years the only problem I had was when squirrel or rabbit got inside the fake rock and chewed through the heat tape and I didn't know it, then the big Ice storm of a few years ago hit and when everything thawed out had a leak in the above ground manifold part where the bleeder valves are.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shut the well off to the outside yard hydrant, if there is a leak it won't show until the thaw and I turn it back on again. If I had a bale of hay or a bag of ?dirt, I'd lay it over the sprinkler boxes. All the sprinkler supply lines are at least a foot under ground if not more.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We popped a few lines that last bad spell, but they were all in our flowerbeds cause they’re shallower and smaller lines.
The lawn, naw I wouldn’t

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most people I know that have severe weather or actual long term cold will blow out their sprinkler lines with compressed air. Turn off the water to the valves then pull off the closest sprinkler head to and furthest sprinkler head to the valves and blow out the lines in each run. May need a decent size cfm compressor to do it though. IF your vavle box is above ground you could fashion one of the big black plastic totes. Turn it upside down with a small chicken coop heat light inside it.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a faucet underground next to the well house that acts as a drain. I shut off the valve in the well house on the line leading to the yard faucets and open the faucet drain. During the middle of a warm day I will close the faucet drain and open the water valve and fill the deer's water trough. Afterwards I shut the system down and drain the line, never had a freeze up.

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cold weather is on the way. I never have done anything except turn it off. Does closing the master valve to the sprinkler system get you e
Cold weather is on the way. I never have done anything except turn it off. Does closing the master valve to the sprinkler system get
Cold weather is on the way. I never have done anything except turn it off. Does closing the master valve to the sprinkler system get you anything?
People water their lawns?

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have a separate cut-off valve just for the sprinkler system, came in handy the one time we had a problem. Let us shut of the water supply to the system without having to shut water off to the house until repairs could be made.

Make sure you know where that cut-off valve is. I have neighbors that don't know if they have one or not, much less where it is.

Latest posts

Top Bottom