Anybody else working cattle this Spring?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ahhh those pictures make me wish I would have had the sense to find a ranch job when I got out of the military instead of construction!! I know it is hard work ( framed houses and such so I could handle it LOL) but man to be out in the open country under the blue is a huge slice of heaven that I have to plan for and you get the privilege to work in it every day!! Completely envious!! I know envy is a sin, but dang !! :clap3::cool:

Oh yeah that looks great! Except for when you're out there and it's a cloud, overcast miserable day with a cold, driving rain, and that Oklahoma wind is howling at you. But all in all, what a good way to make life happen. Great pics and great story behind 'em too.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Oh yeah that looks great! Except for when you're out there and it's a cloud, overcast miserable day with a cold, driving rain, and that Oklahoma wind is howling at you. But all in all, what a good way to make life happen. Great pics and great story behind 'em too.

Man, Oklahoma has way more good weather days than bad weather days and I would gladly take crappy weather days over dealing with the crazy goings on in OKC on a daily basis!!

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh so you're asking my worst weather cowboying story? Alright then.......it was maybe 2007 or 8. Working for Joplin Regional stockyards and an ice storm came in. We had 10 or 11,000 head go thru the barn that day and we were still driving cattle to traps after midnight. We'd take turns driving sets out. It was about a 20 min ride horseback round trip. The ride out the ice beatin on you and your horses face. The ride in the ice was piling up on your horses rump and your back. That wuzzzzzzzzzzz a longgggg event. But, ya know what.....I kinda wanna do it again. Lol

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Oh so you're asking my worst weather cowboying story? Alright then.......it was maybe 2007 or 8. Working for Joplin Regional stockyards and an ice storm came in. We had 10 or 11,000 head go thru the barn that day and we were still driving cattle to traps after midnight. We'd take turns driving sets out. It was about a 20 min ride horseback round trip. The ride out the ice beatin on you and your horses face. The ride in the ice was piling up on your horses rump and your back. That wuzzzzzzzzzzz a longgggg event. But, ya know what.....I kinda wanna do it again. Lol

OKAY, if you "want" to do that again you need to stay the heck out of the hemp fields!!!:mosh::tounge2::cool:

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah nothin to this ranchin! I say this as I'm too tired to fall asleep, I've got a huge knot on one shin, a pretty near stomped off toe on the other leg and some rope burn blisters on one hand that are all tore open cuz it ain't like I've got time to quit using that hand. Atleast them blisters aint filling up and getting sore. Yeah, it's worth it seriously. The pros far outweigh the cons.

LMAO, You want some cheese with that whine.. I'll bet you enjoyed your day.. I too worked today but can't say I enjoyed it.. You have an envious lifestyle and a adorable lil cowpoke..

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a little experience. I once took a bunch of fatgirls to McDonald’s once. Took em a while to unload them off the trailer and the feed bill got too high so I quit doin the cowboy thing. They graze my buddies pasture now, miss them heffers.

Funniest thing I read all day!! A tip of the 10 gallon to 'ya!

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Funniest thing I read all day!! A tip of the 10 gallon to 'ya!

05C6FC18-7791-4615-B435-4E48B96AB967.jpeg

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never could make a living raising cattle, but I loved the life. We were too poor to own much but made money as kids working other peoples cattle. I loved all of it.
A lot of the kids I grew up with inherited their Parents and Grandparents land and added to it. I always tell people how to tell a man that's spent his life on a working ranch. His back is crooked, the lines in his face from the sun look like treads on a tire, his shirt is long sleeved and his belt holds up his belly. His boots have been resoled so many times the tops are almost worn through. You can hear his old ford truck half a mile away by the noise from the holes in the muffler. The windshield will be cracked of course and every place will have dents particularly the tail gait (if it's still on).
I just described one of my classmates I ran across the other day. We remained close all these years but haven't seen each other in a while because of his health (only so many times can you get caught up in a loading shoot until it catches up with you).
We shared both of our health situations, like old men do. He asked, now after all these years, would I have changed anything and being a bit smug, I said yes and went on this 3 minute jag. Then I asked him what would he have changed and he said "not a single thing". I guess that's just the honesty of someone that was meant for another era as I fear there are few left that understand a working ranch or working the land. It was a blessing getting to see the kids on horseback moving cattle. I thanked you once and I thank you again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom