Anybody know of a good mechanic to work on an old jeep?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMLoftis

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time finding a good mechanic to have work on my old jeep. It's a 78 CJ5 with a 258 swapped from an 85 and an aftermarket fuel injection kit.

All of the mechanics I've tried are pretty much only working on newer cars and pretty much clueless on a vehicle of some age and modification.

I feel kinda silly having a problem with this, I did an engine swap added fuel injection and I can't figure it out. It runs good when its cold and when it warms up it'll idle bad an run rich And run hot.

I'm in the Norman area and looking for an independant or a shop anybody with some experience know someone who works on stuff like this or recommend one?

T34r1tUp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
im a certified tech and i have a shop in sw okc.

i do alot of electrical work and i have swapped fuel injected motors into older cars.i usually just swap in a motor with computer and harness from another car so my experience is limited with the aftermarket systems.

you didnt give much info on your setup tho.

is it Throttle body injection (TBI) or is it one injector per cylinder.

most of the early fuel injection systems were tbi and they were pretty simple. if your car is running rich when warm it could be a bad coolant temp sensor or bad map sensor.

by running hot do you mean hotter that normal or is it actually overheating. you didnt mention if its got electric radiator fan some are switch on by the coolant temp sensor so that could link your two problems together.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
A bad distributor will do this, as will the temp sensor as mentioned above. Not sure on the jeeps, but on the early broncos, there are several quirky things that can cause troubles when getting a EFI swap running correctly. Looks like T34 can fix you up.

TMLoftis

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
im a certified tech and i have a shop in sw okc.

i do alot of electrical work and i have swapped fuel injected motors into older cars.i usually just swap in a motor with computer and harness from another car so my experience is limited with the aftermarket systems.

you didnt give much info on your setup tho.

is it Throttle body injection (TBI) or is it one injector per cylinder.

most of the early fuel injection systems were tbi and they were pretty simple. if your car is running rich when warm it could be a bad coolant temp sensor or bad map sensor.

by running hot do you mean hotter that normal or is it actually overheating. you didnt mention if its got electric radiator fan some are switch on by the coolant temp sensor so that could link your two problems together.

It's a TBI.

I've never let it overheat but ive let it climb for a minute and it seemed to Keep climbing.

The electric fan and gauge/ fuel injection harness are on separate temp sensors.

TMLoftis

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good luck, it us forever to find someone to work on our 78 Jeep Cherokee Chief. Finally found Jackson auto in north OKC.

Thanks, Might have to look into that if I can't get it running with the advice from here.
A bad distributor will do this, as will the temp sensor as mentioned above. Not sure on the jeeps, but on the early broncos, there are several quirky things that can cause troubles when getting a EFI swap running correctly. Looks like T34 can fix you up.

I'll have to look into this although it's still a new distributor.

T34r1tUp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i think you guys are just going to the wrong shops.

if i can get parts for it and a service manual i can fix it.

there are just some guys that have a closed mind and want to stick to what they know.

all cars are the same, they just have a different way of doing the same thing.

whether its german asian or domestic its still got a motor and its got wheels.

TMLoftis

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
i think you guys are just going to the wrong shops.

if i can get parts for it and a service manual i can fix it.

there are just some guys that have a closed mind and want to stick to what they know.

all cars are the same, they just have a different way of doing the same thing.

whether its german asian or domestic its still t a motor and its got wheels.

Unfortuntley most shops don't see it that way and hardley even look at it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom