Anyone convert their attic into a room?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dx3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guys,

Been thinking about taking advantage of a semi-large attic and either turning it into a bedroom, or else just storage space.

The shape is terrible, there's hard plumbing lines and ventilation lines everywhere, but I still am considering the challenge.

I have done some framing/Sheetrock in the past but not a whole lot.

Anyone here done this? How did it turn out? What problems did you run into?

drew

Marksman
Reaction score
If you're going to pull all the permits and such, it's a giant PITA. You have to have two ways in and out, a window and a door. Fire code mandate that sort of thing. Had client ask me about, I'm a realtor.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A project like this was just completed at my house. The space was always designed to become rooms but just wasn't done during the initial construction of the house five years ago. Given your described conditions, I'd say early involvement by a designer, contractor, and mechanical contractor is going to be critical to controlling costs.

Problems were aplenty, from unreliable contractors to me creating a new skylight in the first floor kitchen, resulting in a broken shoulder blade, surgery and five months of physical therapy. As to the overall project and construction issues, you need to give a careful eye to the roof line which will then define your ceiling lines. There is potential for significant costs there as well as issues relating to insulation, electrical service, & HVAC.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the process of pulling permits on my house to do this exact project. Adding a bedroom, bathroom and laundry upstairs.

Mine will be ~$50,000 and add 350sf (mol)

Make sure you have a good contractor or it could end up being a nightmare.

dx3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you everyone, well mostly everyone for your responses. I guess I need to decide if it is financially feasible to do it. I don't need the space, just thought it might be a worthwhile investment... but if it costs me over $10k to do it mostly myself then I guess it wouldn't be worth it.

What do permits typically cost for something like this?

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Permits aren't expensive (and dependent on your City) but using licensed contractors is what gets you along with the "Fun" of dealing with Inspectors and City codes...

If you own and live in the property you can do Most of it your self.

Do you Want to hack into the electrical, plumbing and mechanical, and Understand Everything about them?

Thats why you pay someone with that knowledge, just choose carefully.

A mistake could burn or flood or collapse, injuring you and your family.

Thays where "the fun guys " come in, They are your best insurance policy.

Buildings , and the trades are done to a minimum standard, would you want anything Less for your Familys safety?

Good Luck and Be Safe

Latest posts

Top Bottom