Anyone that is shotguning varmints

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hondafire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have some Federal Wing-shok 3'' 1-7/8 #BB on their way. Is/has anyone shot these, and which choke works best? Im going to try my "dead coyote" choke, turkey choke, and full choke. Just trying to figure out what is working for you if your shooting these.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Myself, I am pretty curious about using a turkey choke. I have not patterned my gun to see what it looks like on paper, but in my mind it seems like it would be the preferred choke to reach out, unless it was too tight for up close?

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have some Federal Wing-shok 3'' 1-7/8 #BB on their way. Is/has anyone shot these, and which choke works best? Im going to try my "dead coyote" choke, turkey choke, and full choke. Just trying to figure out what is working for you if your shooting these.

Are they steel shot?

oden_sparks

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
that dead coyote choke is great and a turkey choke works great also. i stay away from full because i like being able to reach out and touch one or chop through some shrubs.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am using the full choke with the Federal BB's. It patterns well at 40 yrds but I have not tried them with my Patternmaster to see how they compare.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I always use modified. When I'm predator hunting with a a shotgun, I'm hunting bobcats in thick cover, shots 30y or less most of the time. If a coyote comes in, I'll usually just let him go. Just personally, I don't need an extra super ultra turkey choke to reach way out there, I'll be carrying a rifle when the shots could be longer than what my shogun can be effectively used for. Some guys carry both, shotgun and rifle.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always use modified. When I'm predator hunting with a a shotgun, I'm hunting bobcats in thick cover, shots 30y or less most of the time. If a coyote comes in, I'll usually just let him go. Just personally, I don't need an extra super ultra turkey choke to reach way out there, I'll be carrying a rifle when the shots could be longer than what my shogun can be effectively used for. Some guys carry both, shotgun and rifle.
Same here! I want my shotgun to perform like a shotgun not a rifle.

oden_sparks

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Same here! I want my shotgun to perform like a shotgun not a rifle.

So I guess you shoot turkeys with a modified choke too? I'll agree that it depends on what terrain you are hunting.I get why okie4570 would want a modified choke inside 30 yards if he's hunting dense woods but, "I want my shotgun to perform like a shotgun not a rifle" makes absoloutely no sense. Why not just saw it off or load a blunderbuss for that matter! I don't think increasing your range by 20 or 30 yards would be considered a "rifle" shot. I've hunted small openings in dense brush 50-70 yards wide where cats would sit on the edge and not want to cross the open and I was mighty glad I had a turkey choke. If you can't hit a cat or dog inside of 30 yards with a turkey choke you need to hit the range or buy a 10 gauge. Just my opinion.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
It doesn't have anything to do with hitting the cat within 30y.........I want something left to take to the fur buyer. Fist sized holes are tough to sew up. And turkeys with mods? Those two modified chokes haven't left my O/U in several years. They pattern my turkey loads and steel great for me, works for me. For the cat that hangs up at 70y, turn your call off and sit tight, most times he'll come on across to see what was going on, unless the reason he hung up was because he saw the caller.

Latest posts

Top Bottom