AR-15 Barrel Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcox

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I'm planning on building my first AR in a couple of months, and I really want to build it just the way I want the first time :naughty:

So :D

I wanted some opinions on 14.5" or 16" Barrels

1st opinion
Stainless Steel or Chrome moly?

2nd opinion
Brands?

3rd opinion
Fluted heavy barrel or M5 barrel

I don't really care for the look of a M4 barrel the notch for the M203 never cared

I like fluted barrels, just such a awesome look and lighter:hey3:

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
1. If you get a 14.5" barrel you either have to have the flash hider permenantly attached to make it a minimum of 16" or register it as a SBR and pay the $200 tax stamp. --Also, in shooting military matches I can tell you that it gets difficult to hit targets approaching 5-600yds with a 14.5" barrel but it can be done regularly with 16" barrels.
2. If it was me, and I was building a rifle just to shoot and not one for "matches" I would go with chrome moly since it's cheaper. I have both and can't really tell a difference in accuracy. I also have chrome lined barrels which will last a bit longer.
3. I have both heavy and M4 profile barrels. I'm not a fan of the lightweight barrels but I have shot them and they shot fine.
4. There are many good barrels on the market depending on how much you want to spend. The cheapest being DPMS. I have had good and bad DPMS barrels. I would spend more for a good barrel. Kreiger, White Oak Armament are good (I have 1 of each and they are SS). Try ARPerformance.com, they have some really good stuff.

Just one mans opinion. I'm sure there are plenty other that have different preferences.

bcox

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. If you get a 14.5" barrel you either have to have the flash hider permenantly attached to make it a minimum of 16" or register it as a SBR and pay the $200 tax stamp. --Also, in shooting military matches I can tell you that it gets difficult to hit targets approaching 5-600yds with a 14.5" barrel but it can be done regularly with 16" barrels.
2. If it was me, and I was building a rifle just to shoot and not one for "matches" I would go with chrome moly since it's cheaper. I have both and can't really tell a difference in accuracy. I also have chrome lined barrels which will last a bit longer.
3. I have both heavy and M4 profile barrels. I'm not a fan of the lightweight barrels but I have shot them and they shot fine.
4. There are many good barrels on the market depending on how much you want to spend. The cheapest being DPMS. I have had good and bad DPMS barrels. I would spend more for a good barrel. Kreiger, White Oak Armament are good (I have 1 of each and they are SS). Try ARPerformance.com, they have some really good stuff.

Just one mans opinion. I'm sure there are plenty other that have different preferences.

Great info thanks, Yeah I was thinking with the 14.5 with a permenantly attached flash hider it would be legal, any pros or cons there?

bcox

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is the intended purpose of the rifle?

Just a all around shooting, home defense, zombie killer or anything else rifle, not really matches, I have wanted a AR since I was like 6

I would like to get out there in range but I really don't want a long barrel

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a all around shooting, home defense, zombie killer or anything else rifle, not really matches, I have wanted a AR since I was like 6

I would like to get out there in range but I really don't want a long barrel

Ok. I would go with a 16 inch midlength barrel then that is chrome lined. This is the best "all around general purpose" barrel I think. Fluting on a standard AR barrel isn't going to save that much weight cause they aren't very heavy to begin with and finding a quality one that's not stainless will be difficult.

Latest posts

Top Bottom