AR kits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahoma Stronghold

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm interested in building an AR. I've seen kits that you can buy. Does anyone know about J&T distributing, Blackthorne Products or Model 1 sales? They are very inexpensive. Are they junk or are they good? I'm not a Navy Seal or on a SWAT team so I don't have to have the best of the best, but at the same time I don't want a piece of junk. Hopefully someone has first hand knowledge of some of these companies.

shady

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am interseted in this too. A lot of you guys have helped me get started on several projects in the past and are very knowledgable. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:clap3::clap3::clap3::clap3:

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Worth a look-
On AR15.com's Equipment Exchange, Pete, of Legal Transfers LLC has a group buy on Stag M4 complete uppers with flip up rear sight, 6 position stock and LPK, all for $609 shipped. 4-6 month wait, but if you can get a lower for a good deal, you'd have a complete AR for at or under $700.

Reaction score
I built my rifle with a Blackthorne 16", heavy barreled, flat-top upper on a Delaware Machine lower. The entire rifle minus rear BUIS and red dot optic cost me about $530. I've got almost 1000 rounds through it and the only problem I have had was the mag catch they sent in the lpk was not to spec. I replaced it with a $5.00 one from a show and no problems since. The trigger is pretty darn crisp with no creep and it has never failed to fire, feed or eject. I feel 100% that I could trust my life to it and that says alot. I don't have any experience with the other build-it-yourself kits so I won't comment on them.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
this was just discussed in the "how cheap can you build.." thread.

But I'd suggest del-ton or model 1 sales for decent AR rifle kits on the cheap.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mark's Firearms in Moore is selling kits complete without the receiver. I think they are made by DPMS. He also sells receivers too.

SevenSixTwo

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I had a model 1 sales rifle kit that worked great, until I started to shoot 5.56 ammo. If you get a kit, make sure you have a 5.56 chamber and not a .223 chamber. The 5.56 chamber will work with both rounds, but a .223 chamber is too tight for reliable extraction when shooting military 5.56.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
In reference to this question, has anyone used any stuff from DSArms? They offer some cheap stuff. Just curious.

I believe a member here bought one of the uppers a couple months back that had no gas port in it (saywhat??!?), but they made it right. I think he ended up with the fluted midlength out of the deal. He may have posted a range report, can't remember. IIRC, it was akguy___.

Latest posts

Top Bottom