AR15 build questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glockman24

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well i posted link to pic of upper i got... just only difference it will have quad rail free float... so if i mount to gas block which should be in front of the quad rail closest to tip of barrel? then a low profile rear sight? then the primary arms red dot in between? with the low mount to get a true cowitness like yours?

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well i posted link to pic of upper i got... just only difference it will have quad rail free float... so if i mount to gas block which should be in front of the quad rail closest to tip of barrel? then a low profile rear sight? then the primary arms red dot in between? with the low mount to get a true cowitness like yours?

I've already pointed out what you need. You ordered an upper with a railed gas-block. You can either mount a sight to it (which would need to be a gas-block-height sight - it can be either flip-up or fixed).

They're called "gas-block height" front sights because the railed gas-block sits lower than the quad-rail does. That is the only thing special about that sight that you will need to remember.

Technically, you could just mount a regular rail-height front sight to the front of your quad-rail (behind the gas-block), but then you'd have a pretty short sight-radius - I wouldn't personally do that.

If you don't want to go that route, then change the gas-block to one that has a front sight built-in (they make flip-ups and fixed).

If you don't want to go that route, then get a low-profile gas block - one that is tiny enough to allow a quad-rail to extend passed it (most popular is a mid-length) and then mount a standard rail-height front sight to the front of the quad-rail. It will extend far forward enough that you'll have a good sight-radius. This is my favorite route and would work with Magpul MBUS sights (front and rear).

Either way, you'll need a rear iron sight if you want to run irons - I've never heard of a low-profile rear iron sight, and I don't understand what you mean by that, but a standard height rear iron should be fine (either a flip-up or fixed).

If you want to run a red-dot optic that co-witnesses with your irons, you have either choice:

1. Absolute co-witness (shorter mount) which puts the irons in the middle of the red-dot and makes it difficult to look over the irons and through the red-dot - if you have flip-ups, I'd go this route, but if you have either a fixed rear or fixed front Iron, I would avoid this route.

2. Lower 1/3 co-witness (high mount) which puts the irons towards the bottom of the optic and allows you to use the red-dot by looking over the irons as well as through them. I would go this route if I had fixed-irons (not flip-ups)

Both of these choices are purely preference.

joe11young

Marksman
Reaction score
I've wanted one forever, and now I made the decision to buy an AR rifle. I like the cost of the kits from Cold Hand Arms and other places, but I just want to know if its going to be really difficult to put it together. Are there any special tools I need to assemble one? I like to think I'm pretty mechanically inclined and disassemble/assemble my other firearms without any problems. Any input or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

leftfield

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've wanted one forever, and now I made the decision to buy an AR rifle. I like the cost of the kits from Cold Hand Arms and other places, but I just want to know if its going to be really difficult to put it together. Are there any special tools I need to assemble one? I like to think I'm pretty mechanically inclined and disassemble/assemble my other firearms without any problems. Any input or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Brownell's has a video section about parts, laws and building and AR type rifle. It helped me sort out what I was capable of and what I needed help with.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11004/guntechdetail/How_to_Build_An_AR-15_Video

Koshinn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kind of old thread, but I assembled my AR lower with a small hammer, a punch set from walmart, pliers, painters tape, some card board, and a castle nut wrench. No vice used. Now an upper is a different story and, imo, requires much more in terms of tools.

joe11young

Marksman
Reaction score
Thanks! I picked up a kit from Steve at Coldhand. I watched the videos on Youtube. I would watch a step, pause it, install and repeat. I was suprised how easy it was. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Top Bottom