Arizona Rancher Will NOT be Retried After Hung Jury

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"George Alan Kelly, the Arizona rancher charged with murder in the shooting of a Mexican national on his border property, will not be retried, prosecutors with the Santa Cruz County Attorney's office said.

The state charged Kelly, 75, with second degree murder after he allegedly shot and killed a migrant, Gabriel Cuen-Buitimea, on his land in January 2023.

The decision not to retry Kelly comes a week after a mistrial was declared following a deadlocked jury.

Kelly’s defense confirmed to Fox News Digital that there was "one, lone holdout" juror who wanted to convict, while the remaining jurors sought an acquittal."

FOX News - Arizona Rancher George Alan Kelly Will Not Be Retried

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was glad to see this. But what makes a second trial even possible? I thought one could not be be retried for the same crime.

The judge declared a mistrial. That means start over.

And, yes...you can be tried more than once for a single incident. You can be tried in state court and then again in federal court depending on the offense. Then you can be sued civilly.

There are rules for double jeopardy but they don't apply to a mistrial.

And I'm glad he's not gonna have to go thru that nonsense again.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The judge declared a mistrial. That means start over.

And, yes...you can be tried more than once for a single incident. You can be tried in state court and then again in federal court depending on the offense. Then you can be sued civilly.

There are rules for double jeopardy but they don't apply to a mistrial.

And I'm glad he's not gonna have to go thru that nonsense again.
Yep. I ain't a Shyster at Law but seem to recollect that the US Supreme Court also said military personnel could be tried by both a US military court and a US federal court, if the charge was a federal offense like bank robbery. They ruled that wasn't double jeopardy.0

Edit, sorry to go off on a tangent and hijack the thread.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep. I ain't a Shyster at Law but seem to recollect that the US Supreme Court also said military personnel could be tried by both a US military court and a US federal court, if the charge was a federal offense like bank robbery. They ruled that wasn't double jeopardy.0

Edit, sorry to go off on a tangent and hijack the thread.
No hijack here. You added valuable info.

Latest posts

Top Bottom