Arsenal quality control

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recently purchased an arsenal ak74 style muzzle break for my saiga. It was $69. I also purchased a front sight post that was already threaded the 24x1.5. The muzzle break of course is threaded the same. I took my rifle in today to two rivers to have the front end done and when they were checking everything over they noticed a problem with the muzzle break. It would barely screw on the sight post. Not knowing if it was the post or the break they preceded to check with one of their muzzle breaks which was an exact copy of the one I had. Theirs fit perfectly as well did a Russian one. Upon inspecting the muzzle break they noticed a big burr in the inside where the plunger pin notch was cut. They smoothed it out but no luck. There were also rough edges around the moon cuts at the front. Mine looked parkerized and the shops looked to be painted a nice satin black just like my rifle. So now unless they find some way to force it on I have to send it back and try and exchange it for another. I got it from kvar. Has arsenals quality dropped this much? I know they also have problems with their finish on the rifles. This goes to show that every manufacturer makes bad products. And of course I have to be the one to get a bad one. Has anyone else seen this issue with one of your rifles?

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was it an imported, Bulgarian Arsenal product, or a US-made "Arsenal"? Two different animals, and if it's the Bulgarian brake, I'd be surprised. Not shocked if the US-made one was iffy. The FSB is almost certainly Bulgy-made, and why other brakes thread right up - it is to spec.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was it an imported, Bulgarian Arsenal product, or a US-made "Arsenal"? Two different animals, and if it's the Bulgarian brake, I'd be surprised. Not shocked if the US-made one was iffy. The FSB is almost certainly Bulgy-made, and why other brakes thread right up - it is to spec.
it is a U.S. Made arsenal branded 74 style break. I couldn't find a 74 style for 7.62. Yes the sight is bulgy made. I would have gotten Russian but didn't think it warranted the $100+ price tag. I just figured that since the break was arsenal it would be good. U.S. Made or not. But apparently I was wrong. Guess I just got a lemon.

mike sweeney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a metric thread pitch gauge you can borrow to check the threads if you want. Maybe the threads are not cut deep enough. I know when I got an Arsenal SLR106 the threads on the front sight and on the break are left in the white and are very rough. When I tried to remove the break I thought the threads were gonna galled up. I used a moly based grease on the threads and would thread it back on and off and clean the grease off and relube each time and after a couple times the brake threads on smoothly.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ive mentioned before that my arsenal sam7r had a canted FSB new out of the box to the point my windage was maxed out to one side and it still was off @ 100 yds. Id expect that from a $500 century but when you pay over $1000 for an AK the mother f*cker better be good. I searched and searched for this gun when I was new to AKs after reading all the "get an arsenal and do it right the first time" promotion on other forums so to it soured me on the brand a little bit when I discovered the issue.

But I will say there is some truth to all the arsenal hype. it is as smooth and reliable as the nicest Chinese AK without having a single failure in thousands of rounds. The magwell is perfect as are fit and finish. Many AKs have come and gone since but I keep the arsenal.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just got an email from kvar with a return shipping label created. I am gonna send the muzzle break back and get the arsenal Bulgaria one instead of the American made copy. I would have to begin with but wanted another American part. Should have known the quality would be cheap. And it wasn't even chrome lined like the bulgy one. Typical American manufacturing. Cheaper quality yet higher price. By the way Horner, I like your ak. Looks nice.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Turns out that 2 rivers was able to get the muzzle break to fit on my rifle. They said it was extremely tight but they got it to work. I am happy. Now just gotta do the handguards and its done. image.jpg

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it looks pretty clean as is with that hand guard. the lines of the stock match the front pretty well.

you can mod the factory one to look something like these for a more custom look that would save you some $$$.

i247.photobucket.com_albums_gg134_imarangemaster_Saiga6.jpg

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the nice words Brandon. I think I am gonna get a bolt in handguard retainer from Carolina shooters and get the arsenal handguard set. I know most wouldn't want to use a bolt on but I don't mind. It ain't gonna be shot that much so it don't matter. They did do a great job on it. That shop is great. Very nice people to deal with. Those pics of those custom handguards above are cool. Especially the top one. Who would do something like that around here?

Latest posts

Top Bottom