ATF came to see me yesterday

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This was actually a good thing, They had me change my Class 1 license to a class 7 license, said it would give me more leeway for manufacturing than the gunsmith license did.

It seems that they consider changing / Adding 2 items or more to a firearm which will make it more valuable is manufacturing!! So if I add new trigger parts and new sights thats not gunsmithing? thats manufacturing??

Well I don't want to rub the ATF the wrong way so I said "No problem, lets do it."

It does mean more paperwork but paperwork is what having an FFL is all about!!!

Have to wait 2 weeks for the license to be mailed but I can handle that because I have some parkerizing & refinishing to keep me busy.

J-leblanc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow thats pretty crazy, hey thanks for seeing the positive of it. sometimes it gets so tiring of people being mad at change. the world changes just roll with it. thanks for being awesome!

OkieBoogaloo

The Trees are Whisperin
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I still need to give you a call. I've gotten distracted for the moment. I'll try to remember to give you a call soon so you can take a look at the Browning.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's a little more paperwork??

When I set up my book keeping I decided to keep 2 books, that is not necessicary but since my main focus is gunsmithing I decided it would be easier to keep the paperwork seperate.

So I have 2 books, One for gunsmithing where I keep the records of the guns and who they belong to, when they come in and go out but I do not have to do a form 4473 on them.

The other book is the standard Acquisition and Disposition book that has all the guns I buy and sell as well as consignment guns that I am selling or transfering for someone else listed in it, those guns have to have a 4473 before I can let them out the door.

A new book will be needed for firearms that get built or "Manufactured" And what I will have to do is log the gun out of the other books and then log it into the "Manufactured" book and then again log it out and back into the book it came from before I can release it.

It is all a mater of keeping records straight and I imagine that it is so that they will know which guns I have to pay that 10 or 11% excise tax on.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did he say anything about ITAR? If you're an 07FFL and you manufacture any defense articles (everything except sporting shotguns) you have to register with ITAR and pay their yearly fee.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did he say anything about ITAR? If you're an 07FFL and you manufacture any defense articles (everything except sporting shotguns) you have to register with ITAR and pay their yearly fee.

The ATF probably wouldn't say anything about ITAR as they neither collect the fees or monitor for compliance. ITAR is a state department program and 07's are supposed to register with them. Yearly fees are $2250.00.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand that, but I've heard some ATF inspectors will mention it. I fear it is only a matter of time before the ATF hands over the 07FFL list to the state department for a reconciliation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom