ATF Form 4473

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwillis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On ATF form 4473 at the bottom it has EXCEPTIONS TO NICS CHECK: A NICS Check is not required if the transfer qualifies for any of the exceptions in 27 CFR 478.102(d).
(d) Exceptions to NICS check. The provisions of paragraph (a) of this section shall not apply if-
(1) The transferee has presented to the licensee a valid permit or license that-
(i) Allows the transferee to possess, acquire, or carry a firearm;
(ii) Was issued not more than 5 years earlier by the State in which the transfer is to take place; and
(iii) The law of the State provides that such a permit or license is to be issued only after an authorized government official has verified that the information available to such official does not indicate that possession of a firearm by the transferee would be in violation of Federal, State, or local law: Provided, That on and after November 30, 1998, the information available to such official includes the NICS;
(2) The firearm is subject to the provisions of the National Firearms Act and has been approved for transfer under 27 CFR part 479; or
(3) On application of the licensee, in accordance with the provisions of §478.150, the Director has certified that compliance with paragraph (a)(1) of this section is impracticable.

Does one know if the OK permit qualifies or not as it reads i think so, but has anyone every skipped the NICS check using your OK permit?

jalapeno

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have heard this issue in the past and heard that initially that was true but that it had been changed. maybe just never updated the forms. if it is true item (ii) would be one reason not to renew for 10 years.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The state has to take over doing the check.
For example Utah allows the store to call BCI for the check if you have a Utah CHL, rather than calling Washington. It does not get you out of doing a check, totally.
As long as Washington is doing their job promptly, I don't see much difference to the customer. Maybe some people trust their state more than the Feds?

Glock Nut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The reason the OK permit is not accepted in lieu of a nics check is the OSBI does not run a triple I on all permit holders annually. they only run one on a application or renewal app. BATFE requires an annual check on permit holders.

GN

DEP111

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It would apply if Oklahoma started doing an anual check, which I don't think is a bad idea. Doesn't really bother me either way. I have never had to wait when purchasing a gun. Most people always get the Proceed classification. Rarely does it go beyond to more checks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom