Attn dog experts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahamay6

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking for a hunting partner. Historically I've been a waterfowl hunter and have hunted over a number of great retrievers. I'm wanting to get into the upland game and am looking at dog options. I've hunted over a German wire hair in the past that was a phenomenal pointer and would swim to retrieve with the best of them. Based on this experience alone I'm leaning towards a wire hair, but was hoping for some input. I will most likely be looking to purchase a started pup as I don't have much experience training dogs and no upland training experience. Any info on breeds, breeders, or trainers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've hunted with Brittneys for many years. At least 30 or so.
They will work with the best of them, even winning gun dog of the year in a couple of field trials. Pointers are typically used in field trials.
Britts have a reputation in the past as being a poachers dog because they can be trained to hunt anything. Upland, waterfowl, rabbits, etc.
Don't have much experience with Vissula, German shorthair breeds, so somebody else will have to check in on those.
Britts, are not only great field dogs, but make good pets too. They have a very mild disposition, get along with other dogs, and the flood of kids that come to our house over the years.
My wife has ours spoiled now, but when he goes to the field it's all business.

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Raised and hunted with Pointers for years. About 30 years ago my Dad was given a German Short Hair, best damn quail dog I ever saw. Before he passed he went through 3 others, each better than the last. Big plus is that all of them were also just good ole round the house dogs too.

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would look into a drahthaar, which is "essentially" the original adaptation of the GWP. They're a versatile breed, so they will do anything you ask of them. They are however, not cheap, but neither is a good GWP. Whatever you do, I would invest once in a quality bred pup, the family history of the dog plays a large roll in the chances the dog you have will turn out.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I would look into a drahthaar, which is "essentially" the original adaptation of the GWP. They're a versatile breed, so they will do anything you ask of them. They are however, not cheap, but neither is a good GWP. Whatever you do, I would invest once in a quality bred pup, the family history of the dog plays a large roll in the chances the dog you have will turn out.

This is the breed I'm looking at next. I've got to have one that will not mind wearing ice from January water retrieves. Can't imagine not having a lab, but I can imagine not having to deal with the shedding hair.

Okie4Life

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

In some circle this would cause a fight.:smash:

I own a Drahthaar. I was in the same boat, so to speak, and wanted a versatile dog. Upon reading all the info out there, I decided on a Drahthaar. I was sold on their strict testing and breeding program. Its a little too much conversation to have here, but I have sent you a PM if you would like to discuss it further. I couldnt be happier with Hank. He has more hunting drive than I could ask for and one of the best family pets I have ever had.

I also have strong feelings against the breeder I got my dog from and a lot of great things to say about a trainer that I used for force fetch. I am happy to provide this information as well.

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In some circle this would cause a fight.:smash:

I own a Drahthaar. I was in the same boat, so to speak, and wanted a versatile dog. Upon reading all the info out there, I decided on a Drahthaar. I was sold on their strict testing and breeding program. Its a little too much conversation to have here, but I have sent you a PM if you would like to discuss it further. I couldnt be happier with Hank. He has more hunting drive than I could ask for and one of the best family pets I have ever had.

I also have strong feelings against the breeder I got my dog from and a lot of great things to say about a trainer that I used for force fetch. I am happy to provide this information as well.

Haha, that is why I put it in quotations. GWP are pretty much the unregulated result of americans breeding drahthaars. It's not to say there are no GWP that are as good or that all the VDD are going to be something, but your likelihood in a quality VDD is much higher.

VDD will straight get down on some game.

Okie4Life

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haha, that is why I put it in quotations. GWP are pretty much the unregulated result of americans breeding drahthaars. It's not to say there are no GWP that are as good or that all the VDD are going to be something, but your likelihood in a quality VDD is much higher.

VDD will straight get down on some game.

I completely agree. Most folks don't understand the difference (GWP vs DD) and assume it just semantics. Each dog is different, it is entirely possible that a GWP may be a better hunter and family dog than a DD, but the odds are the other way around, due tot he required testing and breeding restraints

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Springers--more correctly, field-bred Springers--are excellent for upland birds, as well as great family dogs. I grew up with a series of them, and have seen them work at field trials. Very smart, very athletic.

Stay well away from show Springers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom