Audio Speakers/New Home Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spooncg33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The wife and I are building a new home and I want to have some quality speakers in my living room, and maybe even one outside on the back porch. We will also have a bonus/game room that I am thinking about doing the same thing. What do you guys suggest I buy and have the builders put in before the ceilings are all complete. It doesn't have to be that fancy of a set up, just something that is clear and not going to break the bank. So what all do I need to buy?

Also, in my bonus room would you suggest a TV on the wall or a projector. I have two 9 month old boys that will be playing in that room also probably.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ballpark budget would be nice to know because some of us have a different perception than others on speaker quality vs value and where it's appropriate to cutoff, as in you wouldn't see me building a $2K AR-15 even if I had the cash to, but I'd build a $2K/driver custom-built surround sound system in a heartbeat.

spooncg33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand. I guess I don't even know what entry level speakers/amp/sub or whatever I need even cost. I am sure $500 isn't possible for a decent setup, so maybe $1,000 top dollar?? Or is it even possible to get quality at 1k?

MFCEO

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Budget and who's doing the install will dictate a lot.

Do you want a home theatre in a box where you basically hook it up, place the speakers and go, or are you going to buy an expensive receiver and piece together everything?

How much space is in the room?

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to do home automation, including a/v stuff, about 10 years ago. I wish I could recall the brand that we used (B&W/Bowers-Wilkins, I believe), but $1,000 wouldn't even cover in-wall speakers, a sub, wiring, and wall plates for one room, not to mention labor and any additional equipment.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just something to think about. I have a 30yr old house that the builder put in the latest greatest intercom system. Central control box, talk, receive, door bell system, am/fm radio, etc. and a box on the wall at each door and in each room to communicate back or listen to the radio. Now, much too expensive to replace the components to repair. I would have 6x8 inch holes in the textured walls if I were to remove the speaker boxes in each room.

Technology changes. Look at what we do with blue tooth now, I can provide hearing my door bell and playing my music in all rooms with my cell phone and a small movable speaker system. What will be available in the next 30 years?

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Technology changes. Look at what we do with blue tooth now, I can provide hearing my door bell and playing my music in all rooms with my cell phone and a small movable speaker system. What will be available in the next 30 years?
+1 this. Would be better IMHO to forego the permanent installation and instead look toward one of the several wireless home audio systems that are available.

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are serious about getting high quality audio then don't put speakers in your ceiling or walls. Garbage.

There are some Infinity Beta 50s that were just posted in the classifieds with a solid center and good sub for a screaming deal. I'd be all over those for the price if I wasn't rocking B&Ws already.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$1000 wont touch much of anything, especially not for 1 full room and a speaker in another room. My receiver was $1500 on its own, then another $3000 for speakers and such it will add up fast. TV will depend on how disciplined your children are, projector screen can be nice but once again a nice projector and screen will set you back an easy $3k+.

Latest posts

Top Bottom