Baofeng UV-5R, Ham Radio, What can I listen in on in OKC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Veritas

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Recently bought a Baofeng UV-5R on amazon, only $22 and it actually appears to be a well made device. I was able to tune in to NOAA weather radio (No big deal, 162.400 megahertz) but find it lacking with many of the frequencies found in radioreference.com. Only periodically get a set of digital beeps on the stations using the "Scan" channels feature. Also does receive FM, but who really cares. Are all police and fire digital or encrypted now? Are there other HAM radio users here? Are their any frequencies worth tuning in to? Did I just blow $22? Should I get a HAM License?
Chiming in late here but you bought a UHF/VHF radio which can do a lot but think of it more as a local walkie-talkie (greatly simplified). It sounds like you are not licensed or trained to transmit so if you want a more capable receiver the countycomm gp-7 is a great inexpensive option.

I haven't read all the threads but as I have seen some others mentioned, look into getting at least your Technician class (first level ham license). Even if you don't plan to transmit you will learn so much about how radio waves work and the uses of different parts of the spectrum, how to operate radios etc. that it is super valuable.

Don't be intimidated if you aren't an "engineering nerd", I wasn't and fell in love with it so much after dipping my toe in the water that I ended up an Extra class before I knew it!

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
There is another license you can get for GMRS, no test. Just pay to play. . It is $35 dollars and your immediate family is covered under your licence. It is a stepping stone that is easier to get into and use . There are local repeaters in OKC and Tulsa and more areas as well. It is a pretty good way to test the waters to see if is your "thing" or not.