Bear sightings in Edmond

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a juvenile black bear in my kitchen at 3am when I lived in Crestone Colorado. Destroyed all of our humming bird feeders, then He broke the ķtchen sink backsplash window, was drinking fresh made hummingbird food out of a mason jar cooling in the sink when I saw him. He ignored my meat smoker that had recently smoked trout and pork loin.
He Smelled like a Chinese restraunt dumpster on a hot humid day., stunk up the house. When I put a shotgun light on him he ran off, went a half mile down the road to our neihbor and ripped the liner out of a double door refrigerator and trashed their kitchen. Two weeks later he ransacked a visiting friends van for dog food.
We found out the previous resident had been feeding wildlife.
FED BEAR IS A DEAD BEAR

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a juvenile black bear in my kitchen at 3am when I lived in Crestone Colorado. Destroyed all of our humming bird feeders, then He broke the ķtchen sink backsplash window, was drinking fresh made hummingbird food out of a mason jar cooling in the sink when I saw him. He ignored my meat smoker that had recently smoked trout and pork loin.
He Smelled like a Chinese restraunt dumpster on a hot humid day., stunk up the house. When I put a shotgun light on him he ran off, went a half mile down the road to our neihbor and ripped the liner out of a double door refrigerator and trashed their kitchen. Two weeks later he ransacked a visiting friends van for dog food.
We found out the previous resident had been feeding wildlife.
FED BEAR IS A DEAD BEAR
This summer in Howard Colorado we had a bear come into the RV park during the night. It found two ice chests from a weekender.
One contained food, the other had beer.
The bear got into the beer cooler and had tooth marks on every can. Never touched the food in the cooler.
We saw the bear the next day on the other side of the river. I posted pics and story earlier in another thread.
The park owner went through the area next day asking folks to remove the hummingbird feeders and secure food.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
It would have to be one heck of a 9mm rd! I REALLY enjoy the 10mm. I consider it to be almost a .41Mag in semi or wheel.
My wife and I were in Jackson Hole Wyoming years ago, I was walking ever morning at the time. We stayed in a Cabin at Tawatee Lodge. I got out and started my walk from the clearing where the cabins were, on a forest survice road, when I saw a huge sign, " Caution Grissly Area, special rules apply"! DANG! I went back to the cabin to get my pistol, a lady Smith .38, my wife was in the shower so I went on my walk, without a problem! Great view of the Tetons across Jackson Hole from this area, on the eastern mountians that make up Jackson Hole!! When I got back I was telling my wife about the sign, and me coming back to get the pistol!! Being the smart ass she is, she said, " What were you going to do with that little pistol, shot yourself if a Grizzy got you down?" I still think about that and get a chuckle out of it!

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
It would have to be one heck of a 9mm rd! I REALLY enjoy the 10mm. I consider it to be almost a .41Mag in semi or wheel.
There is a true event that happened on the Alakian Highway, years ago, A Black Bear attacked touirest at a rest area, that was also a spring, with a lot of berries, along the Alaskan Highway. I don't remember the detals but think this bear killed two, or three people, and injured several more. They said this bear was old, and starving, and that was likely the motivation for him doing this. The story goes, man had a pistol in his car, and killed this rampaging bear, I think, but knowing the Canadian Laws regauarding pistols, I would guess it was a rifle? I got this from a vidos story on TV of this incident?

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

There is a true event that happened on the Alakian Highway, years ago, A Black Bear attacked touirest at a rest area, that was also a spring, with a lot of berries, along the Alaskan Highway. I don't remember the detals but think this bear killed two, or three people, and injured several more. They said this bear was old, and starving, and that was likely the motivation for him doing this. The story goes, man had a pistol in his car, and killed this rampaging bear, I think, but knowing the Canadian Laws regauarding pistols, I would guess it was a rifle? I got this from a vidos story on TV of this incident?
Could this be the one you are talking about?

Alaska state fish and game biologists are combing the rugged, dense wilderness 25 miles south of Anchorage for a “predatory” black bear that killed a 16-year-old runner on June 18, one day before a worker at a gold mine located 250 miles away died after also being mauled by a bear.

“Both of these attacks were predatory in nature,” Ken Marsh, public information officer for the state’s fish and game department, tells PEOPLE. “And that’s unusual, an anomaly.”

High school freshman Patrick Cooper had just finished competing in a trail race, attended by hundreds of people, in Chugach State Park when he apparently wandered off the main trail.

Officials are still attempting to piece together Cooper’s final moments, but he reportedly sent out a “distress message” from his phone to say he was being chased by a bear, according to Alaska Dispatch News.

Family members alerted race organizers and, using the “Find My iPhone” app, were able to hone in on his location.

But by then, Cooper had tragically already been killed. State park rangers ended up having to shoot the bear, estimated to weigh around 250 pounds, in an effort to force it to move away from the body, but they didn’t kill it and the wounded animal fled into the thick brush.

“We expected to find a dead bear the next morning, but that proved not to be the case,” says Marsh. “We had a bear dog try and track it, but the trail eventually petered out, so we’re continuing our search today with aircraft once the clouds lift.”

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here are some photos from Robber’s Cave this past Memorial Day

6E267F6A-BBA0-4DC1-960B-B168E67B46E4.jpeg
2887D95C-FB02-45C1-988E-CC6AAEDFDFAC.jpeg
CE92AA6D-EF66-46D4-9026-C9E394A7F1CB.jpeg

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know why people get so wound up over black bears. Of course, they can be dangerous. Generally, though, they'll go out of their way to avoid conflicts with humans. I've had numerous encounters with black bears and without fail they ran away as fast as they could.

I lived with black bears for the last 30 years before moving to Oklahoma. They were practically an every night visitor to our house in the summers in Colorado. Yes, they can be dangerous. But you're much more likely to be seriously injured by a dog than a black bear in places where bears are common. As a matter of fact, most noobs to the mountain community would eventually find their way into my gun store looking for a gun suitable for killing bears. I'd usually tell them they shouldn't have moved to the mountains of Colorado if they were scared of bears and recommended they find another place to buy their "bear gun".

We found a dead bear on our property once. I took a metal detector up and located the bullet in what was left of the carcass. It was a .22 LRN. I can't imagine someone so stupid or so thoughtless as to shoot a bear with a .22 and I really hate the thought of the slow, painful death that bear endured. I'd like to have been able to shoot that person with a .22 and then sent him/her out into the woods to die.

F**kin' people...

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For decades, our family camped in an area from Stonewall, CO up to Cuchara, CO, mostly in Purgatoire River Campground. At least every other year, when we arrived, we would be advised of bear sightings in the area of the campground. Every time, I stayed alert because I wanted to shoot me a bear, but I'd be shooting with a camera. If I saw one, he always ran away before I could get pictures.

They sure are uncooperative photographic subjects. Not at all like the grizzly that we encountered on a bus tour through Denali National Park in 2005.

Last photo is of her digging for a ground squirrel as a snack.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For decades, our family camped in an area from Stonewall, CO up to Cuchara, CO, mostly in Purgatoire River Campground. At least every other year, when we arrived, we would be advised of bear sightings in the area of the campground. Every time, I stayed alert because I wanted to shoot me a bear, but I'd be shooting with a camera. If I saw one, he always ran away before I could get pictures.

They sure are uncooperative photographic subjects. Not at all like the grizzly that we encountered on a bus tour through Denali National Park in 2005.

Last photo is of her digging for a ground squirrel as a snack.
Pretty ol Bear

Latest posts

Top Bottom