Best .357 handgun ammo for pigs, lead or copper?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAMS

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some say the best is the old standby bone-breaker, CastCore 180 grain hard lead. But recently I've heard that solid copper, such as the all copper Barnes X bullet, is better because, although lighter than lead, it's harder and faster. From a 4" .357 handgun, would you opt for the CastCore lead or the Barns X Bullets?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The x bullet although will retain its weight is designed to expand. Expansion might keep it from penetrating as deep. I think you would be fine with either on your average wild hog. If you see one of the bigger hogs you might want more gun.

RAMS

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Hardcast lead would probably be harder. "
I thought so, too. But at the OKC gun show last weekend, the fellow selling bullets for guys who roll their own told me copper bullets were harder than Federal CastCore lead. It probably depends on the specific alloy used. In any case, I don't reload so I'm trying to determine whether there is a factory cartridge that uses a solid copper (or copper with lead core) bullet that penetrates just as well or better than the 180 grain Federal CastCore load.

Latest posts

Top Bottom