1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Best bait for bluegill and redear sunfish?

Discussion in 'General Hunting & Fishing Discussions' started by Kimber.45, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Kimber.45

Kimber.45 Sharpshooter Member

I've found a great place to take my boys fishing for the last few months of warm weather before the big hunt begins. The lake is supposedly covered over with redear and bluegill sunfish. My question is what is the best bait to snag these fish? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. TERPSTER

TERPSTER Marksman Member

If where you are is anything like where I am then there are huge grasshoppers everywhere! They are great bait, but not as easy to catch as you would think!

3. Kimber.45

Kimber.45 Sharpshooter Member

I wonder if you can get grasshoppers or crickets in a bait shop.

4. TERPSTER

TERPSTER Marksman Member

You can get crickets at most places, even a Pet Depot or Pets Mart if you have one near by. They will work great.
    Or just use worms, cant go wrong with them either.

5. Tacticalii

Tacticalii Sharpshooter Member

I use a small piece of night crawler in our ponds. Can't keep em off the hook.

6. WFT

WFT Sharpshooter Member

I gave my grandkids a box of worms, rigged their little ultalights with the smallest hooks I had and sent them after some perch for my jug lines. 20 minutes later they brought me forteen little bluegills. Can't beat small pieces of worms with the right size hooks. Have fun.

7. Toney

Toney Sharpshooter Member

Yeah just a tiny bit of worm on a little hook or a tiny jig. When they are hitting good anything will work, i've pinched off a bit of plastic worm and put it on a little hook. They won't hit it twice, but if you pick it up and drop it agian they will.
    I always keep a little jar of the berkey crappy bait in my box. It works pretty good on jigs and is always ready.

8. Oklahomabassin

Oklahomabassin Sharpshooter Member

About inch of night crawler on a number 6 hook works good. You can get 4-5 pieces from each night crawler. If you are careful to use the same night crawler to pinch off, you save the whole crawlers for the next trip in the fridge. Sprinkle old tea bag or teaspoon of corn meal in container for food.
    Part of the best entertainment (for kids) is catching your own bait. Grasshoppers can be found in many places. Rural road ditches Hiking trails etc.
    Go to a gas station or other area well lit with white flourecent lights at night and pick up all the crickets you can.

9. DEER 24/7

DEER 24/7 Sharpshooter Member

like someone said if they are biting they will bite almost anything,i like worms best because you can catch 2 or 3 sometimes without having to bait your hook again,if they are not biting take a #6 hook no sinker on light line like 4 to 6# and for bait use the skin off a weiner you can use a float to throw it out just do'nt use no weight. that piece of wiener floating down slowly they can'nt resist it good luck and have fun. kids remember things like this there all there life a kudos to you for taking them not near enough dads take there kids to do outdoors funs things that includes me also.i will tell anybody on here that lives out west to take there kids to sandy sanders and let them ride there bikes the rodes there are great for riding bikes and you can fish also in a couple of ponds they have

10. Biggsly

Biggsly Sharpshooter Member

Hard to beat night crawlers.