Best Gen 3 Glock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I have read here and a few other places that there are Gen 3 Glocks that are better than others.

I am not talking about different models, but when they were manufactured.

It has been said by some that Gen 3s produced before a certain year are more desireable.

Can anyone tell me when the change was made, what the differences are, and how to tell them apart?

I am looking at buying a Gen 3, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

P.S. I recently found this forum, and I am pleased to be a part of it.

1fast8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am no glock expert but i think what you are refering to is there were problems with the first gen 4 but i believe those probs have been fixed

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
I am no glock expert but i think what you are refering to is there were problems with the first gen 4 but i believe those probs have been fixed

What I have read specifically reffered to the Gen 3.

One stated anything after 2009 was inferior to previous Gen 3s.

I have also read that Gen 3s before 2011 were the better ones.

I don't know if there is any truth to these statements, but if there is, I would like to know what to look for.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
I have been doing some research, and it looks like there were some extractor issues in 2010-2011 that have since been cured.

Supposedly, the "suspect" extractors have a dip in the top of them.

That is all I have found so far, other than the "E" serial numbered ones mentioned above.

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been doing some research, and it looks like there were some extractor issues in 2010-2011 that have since been cured.

Supposedly, the "suspect" extractors have a dip in the top of them.

That is all I have found so far, other than the "E" serial numbered ones mentioned above.

You are correct. The source apparently changed for Glock's extractors around that time period and began to produce issues previously not seen before. Few people really identified it as an issue until the Gen4 Glocks came out with much more manifest issues. Then some people started noticing that some of the 2009-2010 Glocks started having extractor-induced issues past the 5,000 round mark.

Then again, there are many many Gen4 owners that never had a problem with their Glocks, just like there are many 9mm M&P owners that don't have accuracy issues. Luck of the draw sometimes.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had Glocks since 1995; G19 Gen 3, G30 and G36 Gen 3, and now a G19 Gen 4. I shoot them a lot. The only problems I ever had was once with .45 ACP WWB 230 Gr FMJ from Wally World; couple FTE's out of a box of 100 about 2 or 3 months ago using my G36; and my G30 popped the spring off the end of the guide rod while shooting once about a year ago using Federal FMJ rounds. That's a pretty good record of reliability though in my book. I wouldn't worry about it. Just get yourself a Glock if you want one and go shoot the crap out of it. Odds are you'll never have a real issue with reliability if you don't limp wrist it or go screwing with the dremel or installing aftermarket stuff like that dumb siderlock thing...

Latest posts

Top Bottom