best sights for OLD EYES...XS or ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrabtree121

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rod what are "computer glasses" ? are they just reading glasses? or are they a special type of prescription? I have really bad astigmatism and have a heck of a time focusing on the sights and target at the same time.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rod what are "computer glasses" ? are they just reading glasses? or are they a special type of prescription? I have really bad astigmatism and have a heck of a time focusing on the sights and target at the same time.

"Computer glasses" are single-vision prescription glasses that focus at the customary distance from your eyes to a computer screen to reduce eyesrtrain.

For pistol shooting, I asked for my single-vision shooting glasses prescription to be written for a distance of 4 feet from my eyes, so the front sight is the first thing I focus on.
I have been shooting at slightly fuzzy targets for years and advise you to look at the front sight if you are beyond point shooting range. Have you noticed the name of the official USPSA magazine?

For point shooting, I drop the handgun slightly and look at the target.

It is physically impossible to focus on both the front sight and a distant target at the same time with iron sights. For someone who is 30, the eyes can rapidly focus from one to the other, but with age comes decreasing "accomodation" capability to shift focus back and forth, which is why bifocals and trifocals were invented. But don't try shooting action pistol with trifocals on. :cry3:

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a bunch of different handguns, and I shoot the Glock 17 better than any of them. Yep, fiber optics.

I was lucky in that I was 46 before any of the presbiopia (may have butchered that--means old sighted) started. Faked and bright lighted it until about 50. CB

scrabtree121

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Rod. I've had bad eyesight all my life but lately I've been having what you are describing as "decreasing accommodation" more and more. Someone could go grab me a cup of coffee by the time I focus from sight to target.

Thanks again for the info.

Latest posts

Top Bottom