Best wired security cameras?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RangeHound

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
This a helpful thread. I have been looking at security systems for over a year trying to put together a system that is economical yet worth having. I have seen the lower end units and the night vision is not worth having. I am still looking at utilizing POE cameras but the cost is higher yet you don't have to get power to each camera. I would like some discussion on what others are using in the area for a home POE camera. I have looked at the cameras mentioned above but while I agree that they are great cameras they are out of price range. I would be interested in what others are looking at in the home quality POE cameras.

The other item I would ask is if anyone has used ZoneMinder software with their cameras?

Thoughts?

Last edited:

pritch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
jakerz,

Is your system server-based or are you using DVRs? What software are you using for viewing & management? I'm transitioning my company to IP and like what I'm seeing from Axis, but their management system doesn't seem designed for enterprise level systems.

Phw

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
High end or not - how important is your personal well being and/or property? It's all about the value of what your protecting = quality and reliability trumps price.

Maverick1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ended up going with a swann system. I got 8 cameras with 850 tvl and might vision to like 70 feet....came with a 1 terabyte DVR and a bunch if wire. The package cost me $811 with shipping. Very good resolution and fir my purposes I think it will do just fine. The one I really wanted was over $3k....I simply could it justify the additional expense. For other applications I can see the need but it's all the camera I need right now.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can you read a license tag at night or in the day time? I've been following this thread with intentions of getting one for our house. My guns got wiped out 10 years ago. The thief is back on the streets.

I've experimented with game cams that have a 8mp camera, but they aren't sharp enough to show the tag of a vehicle leaving.

Maverick1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you read a license tag at night or in the day time? I've been following this thread with intentions of getting one for our house. My guns got wiped out 10 years ago. The thief is back on the streets.

I've experimented with game cams that have a 8mp camera, but they aren't sharp enough to show the tag of a vehicle leaving.

Dennis, truthfully I do not know....the camera is very clear during the day and from the online pics seems clear at night....assuming you hit the right vantage point and angle. The setup in my house will not really necessitate seeing a tag so it wasn't a huge issue either way. I am sure someone with more experience with camera could chime in....but, after the house is built I will take some pics and am happy to share with yiu for comparison or welcome to come check them out for yourself.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. My buddy bought a wired system. Shortly afterward he had a truck back into his house and take some items. The tag was not clear enough to be seen in the night pics. The LEO's couldn't do much about it with the low amount of information. It was even hard to see the make/model of the truck.

I keep seeing night pics from places that get hit on the TV news, and they aren't very clear either.

I'm sure with enough $$$ there is something out there.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
jakerz,

Is your system server-based or are you using DVRs? What software are you using for viewing & management? I'm transitioning my company to IP and like what I'm seeing from Axis, but their management system doesn't seem designed for enterprise level systems.

Server based. Running IBM 3950's. For management, we're using Milestone. We originally had NICE. And Clearcast before that. Milestone with Axis IP's has been great so far.

Latest posts

Top Bottom