Bogus Optics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's amazing, the amount of fake optics out on the market. Some years back I found out the hard way about bogus Eotechs, that lesson cost me a few hundred (ouch!). If it has both red and green dot options, it's not a legit Eotech...period. There are many other pseudo-sights out there: Aimpoint, Trijicon and about everything else. Not just clones - these not only look like them, they carry the brand names on them as well.

Two days ago I found out that there are fake Leupold scopes as well, made in China. I found a MK 4 Leupold tactical scope advertised (used) locally for $350, so I jumped all over it! Who wouldn't? I went and picked it up and was on my way home and had an "aww crap" moment when I saw the illumination dial had both red and green. Horse piss! I came home and it didn't take much research before finding out that it was indeed bogus. It may not be as obvious if the model doesn't have illumination, so check for "unusual" serial #'s. I know now for a fact that the 888888SC and 999999SC models are counterfeits.

I was fortunate and able to get my money back, but thought I would post this just in case everyone wasn't aware of the problem. It's not only the sights you have to worry about, but the mounts too. Beware!

mapcon1941

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of counterfeit items show up on Ebay from Asia. There is some info. on their website on many different known scams, and how to identify them. With Paypal purchase, they will refund your money if you can prove it. I found this out the hard way.

indpndt74

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom