BOK Center, Tulsa - What is policy for off duty carry to venue for LEO's?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Short answer yes....To be a certified Peace Officer in this state you have to comply with OS Title 70 Section 3311. A bad law here in Oklahoma allows a person to work as a LEO for up to one year before they have to become certified. Even if you work for a Department that has a training Academy they have to teach certain elements to comply with above mentioned Statue.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
remember that downtown Tulsa wasn't the best area several years ago.

I'll also note that you really don't have much to worry about at all in downtown Tulsa, though a tiny amount of situational awareness helps. Specially on even busy nights like the evening of a Zac Brown Band concert.

copeje

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was researching this topic and ran across this thread. Below is what I was told and later found online through the FOP.

I'm not a lawyer so clarify on your own.

'Premature' BOK Center Gun Policy Statement Upsets Tulsa Police 08/31/2009
By Tara Vreeland
The News On 6 / August 28, 2009

TULSA, OK – A statement released prematurely by the BOK Center has some police officers up in arms. The statement says off-duty officers would be banned from carrying a concealed weapon while at the arena.

The BOK is back pedaling as the Center's general manger says the statement was released prematurely.

A letter was sent to area police chiefs and sheriffs Wednesday morning. The letter stated a policy change at the BOK Center saying no guns are allowed except for on-duty law enforcement personnel.

The letter, written by a former Tulsa Police officer who is now the security manager for the BOK Center, Dan Brown, also referenced off-duty officers drinking alcohol.

The letter raised eyebrows with Tulsa Police.

Phil Evans, president of the Tulsa Chapter of the Fraternal Order of Police issued a response saying "the safety of the patrons of the BOK Center is....every officer's top priority, on or off duty. Police officers lead different lives from most citizens. When they go home from their shift their responsibilities do not end."

"I think the policy needed clarifying," said John Bolton, General Manager of the BOK Center.

Bolton says off-duty officers can bring in a concealed weapon into the BOK Center. He says the true policy change is that they ask that officers register the weapons with the BOK center.

"We ask them to notify us so that we know where they are in the arena so we can kind of monitor that in case someone did get excited about seeing a gun," John Bolton, general manager of the BOK Center said.

The Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act of 2004 says qualified law enforcement officers are allowed to carry concealed firearms as long as they have their law enforcement id and commission card on them. That means the BOK cannot prohibit an off duty officer from carrying their concealed weapons.

Tulsa Attorney Scott Wood, who handles a lot of police related issues, says he believes under state law, officers would be able to carry a concealed weapon at a location like the BOK Center and to prohibit that would require changing state law.

Tar, Vreeland. "'Premature' BOK Center Gun Policy Statement Upsets Tulsa Police." The News On 6. <http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=11004609>

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When my shift is over and I go home, my responsibilities to protect myself and my family don't end either. If off-duty are allowed to carry, I should be allowed to carry too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom