BOK Center, Tulsa - What is policy for off duty carry to venue for LEO's?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dx3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny since, most of the police providing security at BOK center events are "off duty" even though they are in uniform and driving their TPD issued cruisers.

That's because TPD are allowed/encouraged to work off-duty jobs while in uniform and in their cruiser. If something were to go down, they are expected to leave their off-duty post and go to wherever the threat is.

Grendel

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's because TPD are allowed/encouraged to work off-duty jobs while in uniform and in their cruiser. If something were to go down, they are expected to leave their off-duty post and go to wherever the threat is.

I don't think that the public understands the distinction when they see someone dressed in uniform and operating a city owned vehicle. They expect to make contact with a Tulsa Police Officer, not an off duty security contractor.

I don't see a qualitative difference in the Public Works guys using city owned back hoes to operate their own excavating business.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, mine too.

Are you wanting to create protected classes or multiple tiers of citizens?
Or are you wanting to compare civilian vs LEO target identification and accuracy in real world incidents? If so, we should disarm every police officer and arm every other citizen. The data is clear.

copeje

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What "data" are you referencing?

Just out of curiousity a few questions for you:

1. When was the last time you threw someone in jail?

2. When was the last time you took someone's child away?

3. When was the last time you took some gang bangers life that was trying to take yours?

These are real world situations that the every day citizen most likely will never face. The people on the non LEO side of these equations and their families hold grudges. Our LEO community deserves the right to protect themselves from said individuals. Therefor, I think every LEO should be able to carry wherever they go. Unless you are a part of the LEO or military brotherhood, I don't expect you to understand.

However, I'm a firm believer that if "civilians" took more than a ONE time 8 hour course and had to actually qualify with a firearm, they should be able to carry. If you, joe citizen, wants to devote 40+ hours a year, shoot a timed/structured qualification yearly and go through the legal side of it, I think you should be able to. However , as long as we have such a BS course to get your SDA, I don't think it should be allowed.

If you want to compare self defense shootings along side LEO shootings , I think your trying to compare apples to oranges. And again, unless you have been on both sides, you probably won't understand.

jsl_pt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What "data" are you referencing? Just out of curiousity a few questions for you: 1. When was the last time you threw someone in jail? 2. When was the last time you took someone's child away? 3. When was the last time you took some gang bangers life that was trying to take yours? These are real world situations that the every day citizen most likely will never face. The people on the non LEO side of these equations and their families hold grudges. Our LEO community deserves the right to protect themselves from said individuals. Therefor, I think every LEO should be able to carry wherever they go. Unless you are a part of the LEO or military brotherhood, I don't expect you to understand. However, I'm a firm believer that if "civilians" took more than a ONE time 8 hour course and had to actually qualify with a firearm, they should be able to carry. If you, joe citizen, wants to devote 40+ hours a year, shoot a timed/structured qualification yearly and go through the legal side of it, I think you should be able to. However , as long as we have such a BS course to get your SDA, I don't think it should be allowed. If you want to compare self defense shootings along side LEO shootings , I think your trying to compare apples to oranges. And again, unless you have been on both sides, you probably won't understand.

Just in case you forgot... Looks like it says people, not LEOs only.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Latest posts

Top Bottom