Bow hunting Blue River WMA?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has tips for bowhunting Blue River WMA. I've fished there several times but never hunted it. I don't hunt public lands during rifle season due to bad experiences with unsafe hunters in the past. Planning to do some fishing down at the Blue River next month anyway so I figured I'd bring my bow along.

Any advice or tips from someone more familiar with the area would be appreciated.

SDS

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive been hunting there for about a year now. I only hunt at the upper part of the WMA, North side HW7, west of Blue river.
There is a lot of wooded area there, but also nice open prairie with a few creeks. 2-3 years ago there was a fire that partially burned that section but also south of HW7 in that area. If you hunt from a tree stand, find some of these burned areas, most trees will have lower limbs burnt off. Makes for a nice and open spot and easy to hang a stand. Other wise, there are some planted fields there too. I bet closer to the blue river will be pretty good too. There is a lot to choose from IMHO. Great place, few people, no rifles (shotgun with slugs only), and open only first 9 days of gun season.

SDS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I've fished up there a few times and the food plots may be a good draw by the time I get there. I don't mind hauling a tree stand up there and seeing what shows up.

Thanks again,
SDS

SDS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After my last bowkill I have no problems killing hogs or coyotes. They have a little payback coming.

I shot her right at dark and couldn't find a strong blood trail. I backed out and came back at first light to find this. If I'd have walked another 15 yds. I'd have found the trail, it was a huge blood trail and she was down about 50 yds away. I was pretty frustrated with myself but I didn't want to bump her in the dark.
SDS

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can confirm the hogs are thick at Blue River. If you want to target them then park at the handicap access on the south side of hwy 7 and the east side of the river. Walk south and you can't help but see the sign everywhere.

Latest posts

Top Bottom