Braces for your kid - experiences

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do it. My daughters both got my teeth, which while healthy, are crooked. I never had braces, and when an Ortho suggested them at 19, I basically said "Why, I already have a girlfriend?". I know, dumb ass. Wasn't the first time.

Anyway, my girls have beautiful smiles thanks to the braces. My son is only 11, and he'll need them too. We'll spend the money (again), listen to the complaining (again), etc., but it's worth it. Looks shouldn't matter, but let's be honest; they do.

A nice smile opens doors, and I want my kids to be really, really rich, so they can take care of my fat butt in old age (meaning hiring really hot Russian nurses to take care of said fat butt)!

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
my wife got hers at thirty. much harder on the older folks. my daughter had them also. like was said,use you FSA if its available. they both have beautiful smiles and i don't regret the 10k at all!

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am another who says do it, even if only for cosmetic reasons. Being really good looking has always been a door opener for me, so by all means, if it will help, go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a Dentist-not an orthodontist put braces on my son and I believe I paid around $1,100.00 at the time for the braces. But I'd check with someone in general dentistry before I paid an Orthodontist fee or, I'd take the son to OU School of Dentistry and pay around 50% of what they charge on the outside.
If we don't watch our money, someone else will watch it for us.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a Dentist-not an orthodontist put braces on my son and I believe I paid around $1,100.00 at the time for the braces. But I'd check with someone in general dentistry before I paid an Orthodontist fee or, I'd take the son to OU School of Dentistry and pay around 50% of what they charge on the outside.
If we don't watch our money, someone else will watch it for us.

Ortho is a specialty, some Dentists can do it, some try, I wouldn't risk it personally. The mechanics of moving teeth is way different from restoration. My Wife's office does a lot of follow up treatment on ortho from Dentists.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Respectfully, the same dentist put braces on me at age 43 and so far (I'm 72) they worked great. He's done a lot of braces during his time in practice but the final decision is up to the one paying the bill. Orthodontics requires extra schooling which is required to achieve that specialty. Currently, my wife is being treated at OU Periodontics with excellent results-but there is an othrodontics department at that facility.

Latest posts

Top Bottom