bringing a long gun from out of state

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjjeep

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
i go to school down here and i have a question about bringing a long gun down here. my uncle died and left behind a M1 carbine. the only paperwork we have is the receipt. now what are the laws regarding this situation if i were to bring it down here? basically im wondering how to prepare for a worst case scenario(IMO) which is driving to a range, i get pulled over, police officer searches my car and there is an M1 carbine with no paperwork,etc,etc. is there a "voluntary registration" in Oklahoma? i just want to be able to use it legally here, if possible.

i know im a student and i can keep it at the campus police department. even if everything is good to go regarding legality, its kind of a hassle to get it here. maybe in a few years after i graduate and im on my own i can consider it.

sorry if this in the wrong section. it was either here or general dsicussion.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No registration here. If you are a resident of the same state I would imagine you could just go pick it up. If yo are an OK resident now it may need to be transferred through an OK gun dealer to be totally legal.

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a free state. No registration or anything like that. As far as taking it to the range, bag it and keep the ammo separate and you're good to go. If you have a CCL that's recognized in Oklahoma, you can basically carry it in your car however you want as long as there's not a round in the chamber.

I've kept guns at the campus police station for several years now...I've been called a 'regular' and 'that guy' a couple of times now... :D

As far as getting it here, you're probably going to have to provide a little more info.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
No registration here. If you are a resident of the same state I would imagine you could just go pick it up. If yo are an OK resident now it may need to be transferred through an OK gun dealer to be totally legal.

No,it's a rifle,they can even be sold to out of state residents so get it and bring it home. Steve

Also iirc if it's left to you as an inheritence,it's not the same as a sale.As long as it's not an M-2(class 3) your good to go.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No,it's a rifle,they can even be sold to out of state residents so get it and bring it home. Steve

Also iirc if it's left to you as an inheritence,it's not the same as a sale.As long as it's not an M-2(class 3) your good to go.

Unless they changed the law last week (doubtful)
A non-FFL can only sell to a resident of their same state.
Long guns -handguns makes no difference. Thats why OSA has the OKLA. resident rule in the classifieds.
Contigenous state sales are for FFL dealers only.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Jeep when you're ready either go get it and bring it home or box it up and ship it to yourself c/o OPS in Tulsa and for $10 they will do the transfer.BTW you can ship long guns via anything,USPS,FedEX,etc.

specialop24

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's accually great news for me too because my father is back in Pennsylvania and he has some older rifles for me and I was a little worried about being able to get them here. This is a great state.

kcatto

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought it was perfectly legal to ship a gun from yourself to yourself in other states.... I have done this many times going to Alaska.... ship from Washington state to the post office in the town in alaska where we were hunting.... This is how we were told to get our long guns to Alaska when we were driving up...

It is easier than getting permission and the tranfer through canada....

Latest posts

Top Bottom