Buckshot?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Something was brought to my attention that I did not know. I don't hunt with buckshot, nor plan to, which is probably why I never noticed before.

From page 15 of the OK hunting guide.

Shotgun Pellet Size
No person in the field may possess or attempt
to harvest any wildlife, except waterfowl and
crane, with a shotgun using shot larger than
conventional BB (.180 in. diameter.)

So I take it buckshot or anything larger than BB is not not allowed for anything, not coyotes, not deer, etc. Except Waterfowl and Crane.

I have heard of people using 4 buck for cranes, but not sure what the fed
regulation on that is.

Just thought that was interesting.

Reaction score
Nope - That's the regulation that applies during the entire year EXCEPT deer gun season, on public lands. You can use 00 or 000 or whatever you like during deer gun season, anywhere (unless there is a WMA-specific rule to the contrary).

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope - That's the regulation that applies during the entire year EXCEPT deer gun season, on public lands. You can use 00 or 000 or whatever you like during deer gun season, anywhere (unless there is a WMA-specific rule to the contrary).

Sorry Doc, but you are incorrect. Page 19 of 2009-2010 Hunting Guide: "Deer Gun Season Legal Means of Taking: Shotguns-'20 gauge or larger, firing a SINGLE rifled slug are legal'." As of right now the "no larger than BB rule is still in place, except for waterfowl. However with waterfowl you still have to use the Fedaral Approved NON-TOXIC shot.

Reaction score
Sorry Doc, but you are incorrect. Page 19 of 2009-2010 Hunting Guide: "Deer Gun Season Legal Means of Taking: Shotguns-'20 gauge or larger, firing a SINGLE rifled slug are legal'." As of right now the "no larger than BB rule is still in place, except for waterfowl. However with waterfowl you still have to use the Fedaral Approved NON-TOXIC shot.

Hmmm, well right you are - that's certainly the way it reads this year. My mistake and thank you Jared. Definitely a change from the past, and definitely incredibly stupid (you can use a .357 sig 4" bbl handgun, but not triple ot buck with a full choke from a shotgun, which is infinitely more devastating). In the past, that pellet size rule applied only to public lands, and only for non-deer gun season (i.e. it was a off-season "pig rule"). They just keep getting dumber and dumber, don't they?

Also, you cannot have more than 7 rounds capable in your .223 or other .22, but you can happily carry a 20 or 30 round mag for your .308, 6.5 grendel, 6.8 spc, or whathaveyou.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buckshot has been illegal to hunt with in Oklahoma for a very, very long time Dr. Tad. I don't think there is a time in recent history it has been legal.

Reaction score
Buckshot has been illegal to hunt with in Oklahoma for a very, very long time Dr. Tad. I don't think there is a time in recent history it has been legal.

Dang, did not know that; thanks; coulda sworn that it was!! :uhoh:

I knew that that specific reg was there for pigs on public lands - idea being that they don't want you poaching deer and claiming to be hog hunting. But I thought buckshot was legal for deer - lol, learn something new every day! :)

Still colossally stupid rule, IMO.

save the buckshot for the bad guys .

But what if a deer 'goes bad'?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khKrd1RNy2U

:D :D

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, I don't know the answer, but for trivia and since I have heard of people using #4 buck for cranes (which I think is incredibly stupid, what goes up must come down), but what is the state/federal maximum for shot size for Cranes? For Waterfowl? I don't see it in any of the regulations.

Latest posts

Top Bottom