Camera discussion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...decent shots along the fence line of a motorcycle race...

This part is going to be tough with this:

...I was thinking of maybe looking in the $300 range. Anything decent there?

These are in the range, sorta'.
Panasonic LX-5
Olympus XZ-1
Canon G12
Canon S100
Nikon P7000 - not in the same league as the others, but lower priced

You're not going to find a new DSLR for that kind of money and getting results from a point-and-shoot with moving subjects is also difficult, but it can be done as long as you have a point-and-shoot with manual focus.

Example: set aperture to f/4 - 5.6, keep shutter speed high by adjusting ISO, prefocus (using manual focus) at about 10 feet (hyperfocal distance) and then shoot all day - everything will be in focus with a small sensor camera like those listed. You'll just have to get your timing down due to the shutter lag that point-and-shoot cameras tend to have but this will at least get rid of the worst part of the P&S cameras - lag due to slow focus.

PM me if you need more specific answers.

andrsnsm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have chased the Holy Grail of photography for years and I have learned a few things:

1. Unless you are a pro or close don't bother chasing the pro camera equipment unless you have several thousands of dollars to spare.
2. Whatever you buy, make damn sure it has a CMOS sensor and NOT a CCD. There is a BIG difference but at least most of the better cameras have CMOS sensors, which are much better for low light.
3. Lenses can make an incredible difference but I have had $1500 lenses that did not perform as well as $200 lenses. Don't be fooled by the f2.8 game, you don't need f2.8 or lower if you are the average person shooting outside or with good flash.
4. Sell your expensive camera gear (unless you make a living with it) and buy guns. I sold several thousands of dollars of Nikon equipment and bought guns once I moved to OK from CT. Guns do not depreciate like cameras do and they are much more fun :-)

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And yes, its an SLR. Gotta be careful with SLRs... lenses become the equivalence of crack.

+1000 thats the absolute truth. I love my D5000 its a great camera, I am an amateur photographer and it fits me perfectly, my wife just takes pics of the kiddo around the house and any time we go anywhere and it works great for her too.

Leemaxx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
You might look at used. A Nikon D40 or D60 would be closer to your price range. Maybe a Canon Rebel t2i/t3i. Lenses is where you will spend the most money.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think that you'll find what you're looking for for $300. Sorry.

I'm willing to compromise. I realize that for most action shots I'll need a DSLR and I can cross that bridge later. From what I'm reading is that I might do ok with a mid-level point and shoot style that has allows some manual settings. Anything has to be better than the $100 junkers.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Canon SX40 HS gets some good reviews and the price isn't bad. I bet that thing could do way more that I'd ever hope to do with it. This is good stuff, guys. Thanks.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have to echo the suggestions of a digital SLR. I used a P&S camera for years before moving up to a DSLR, and I wish I'd done that a lot sooner. Here's a pic I took recently of a WW2 lock bar set for a M1 Garand, while playing around with a home-made light box:

[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom