Capping off sprinkler heads?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some of the answers crack me up...

"Make sure the supply line is off..."

Each zone has a control solenoid, unless the system is on, and that zone is running there shouldn't be any pressure in the lines, there may be water if the auto drain wasn't installed, or isn't working.

"You probably want it capped below ground to keep it from freezing and bursting"

Again, properly installed with an auto drain, that zone wouldn't be subject to "freezing and bursting".

No need to use joint compound or teflon tape, you can if it makes you feel better, but isn't necessary.

Most heads have an adjustment screw that can take the output to nothing, or almost nothing.

Really best to remove the head if you never intend to use it again. Easiest way to dig is to get a narrow spade, come out about 10-12" from the head and dig a circle angling about 8-10" down towards the base of the sprinkler head. You can lift that big cone shaped section out and set it to the side, finish digging the remainder to the riser, and cap it off. replace the dirt and the plug and move on. If you have trees nearby you just increased the work by 10x...

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some of the answers crack me up...

"Make sure the supply line is off...".

A little good natured humor was the idea.

I don’t have and have never have had a water sprinkler system in my yard. So, I had no idea how to solve the problem. I’ve responded to numerous calls where fire sprinkler systems had frozen and burst or the sprinkler head had activated and the building occupant didn’t have the slightest idea where the shut off was or operate it once it was found.

I saw the OP’s post and the smart butt in me couldn’t resist.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Easiest thing to do is hire someone who knows what they are doing. This is too fraught with disaster for some to attempt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom