Car carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegomezclan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the site. I will be traveling to visit my sister in Norman this weekend from Lubbock Texas and would like to know if I can carry in my car in Oklahoma? I don't have my concealed carry permit but here in Texas we can carry in our cars concealed without a permit. Any help would be most helpful. We are coming to visit and look around because my family and i will be moving there in march.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2011.pdf

TITLE 21 § 1289.7 FIREARMS IN VEHICLES
Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle, shotgun or pistol, open and unloaded, at any time. For purposes of this section “open” means the firearm is transported in plain view, in a case designed for carrying firearms, which case is wholly or partially visible, in a gun rack mounted in the vehicle, in an exterior locked compartment or a trunk of a vehicle.

Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle or shotgun concealed behind a seat of the vehicle or within the interior of the vehicle provided the rifle or shotgun is not clip, magazine or chamber loaded. The authority to transport a clip or magazine loaded rifle or shotgun shall be pursuant to Section 1289.13 of this title.

Any person who is the operator of a vehicle or is a passenger in any vehicle wherein another person who is licensed pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Sections 1 through 26 of this act, to carry a concealed handgun and is carrying a concealed handgun or has concealed the handgun in such vehicle, shall not be deemed in violation of the provisions of this section provided the licensee is in or near the vehicle.

TITLE 21 § 1289.13 TRANSPORTING A LOADED FIREARM
Except as otherwise provided by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act or another provision of law, it shall be unlawful to transport a loaded pistol, rifle or shotgun in a land borne motor vehicle over a public highway or roadway. However, a rifle or shotgun may be transported clip or magazine loaded and not chamber loaded when transported in an exterior locked compartment of the vehicle or trunk of the vehicle or in the interior compartment of the vehicle notwithstanding the provisions of Section 1289.7 of this title when the person is in possession of a valid handgun license pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gun in glovebox, loaded magazine in console or pocket. This works, right?

No need to take it to the trunk, which renders it essentially useless in any scenario in which you might need it. :(

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but from my research you can rubberband the loaded magazine to the outside of the gun grip and be legal. No need to seperate the gun from the ammo, you just cant have a loaded magazine in the gun.

Here is some additional info from my similar post...... http://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?120718-Traveling-w-a-Gun.

Last edited:

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As usual, we're dealing with a poorly written law. Based on the above, if you read this exerpt:

"For purposes of this section “open” means the firearm is transported in plain view, in a case designed for carrying firearms, which case is wholly or partially visible, in a gun rack mounted in the vehicle, in an exterior locked compartment or a trunk of a vehicle.",

it "seems" to say that the weapon must be in a case.

There is a lot of interpretation involved. I would be very careful as to how you read it. My guess is that if they want to make life hard for you, they can, no matter how you handle the law. Best to get a Concealed Carry Permit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom