Carrying at the renaissance festival

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
well if it's a renaissance fair, I would assume swords, daggers, Flails, javelins, bows, catapults, lances, Thor Hammers, and ballistas would be an acceptable form of personal protection. And you were wondering when you could carry your blunderbuss!!

put them in the Iron Maiden!

Pretty much all that needs to be said.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think legal precedence is with signs like "shirt/tie required" or "No shirt, no shoes, no service". If someone goes in a place of business not dressed in the attire specified, and the owner chooses to call the police instead of asking that person to leave, the responding officer will in all likelihood not issue you a trespass citation, but ask the owner if they have asked you to leave (in case you might have missed the sign) and then ask you to leave. If the owner does ask you to leave and you refuse (but aren't acting in accordance with felony trespassing), then it's only a misdemeanor. Now if you're being a jackass and taking it up a notch, it could qualify as felony trespassing (especially when a gun is involved - others can feel "threatened" by your actions if they're even remotely aggressive should they know you have a gun).

That's presumed to be the case with concealed carry since the "no guns" or similar sign holds the same weight legally. If I happen to not see a sign and carry in a place that is completely legal to carry in per Oklahoma state law, I really can't be issued a citation based on the sign (it's not an official sign like a speed limit sign) if my defense is that I did not see the sign and the sign isn't really an official sign that I should recognize anyways (or that the sign is too cryptic to understand like the revolver-buster sign when I happen to be carrying a semi-auto, etc...).

Now if you carry where you shouldn't on an anti-gunner's private property and get caught - and are asked to leave, you absolutely should (legally) as you are now risking trespassing charges. Owning private property does not, however, give you the right to detain someone, so if you are told to stay there and someone is calling the cops because you're carrying on private property despite a gun-buster sign, you have no obligation to follow their orders - you can simply explain that you didn't see the sign and leave (even here you've technically broken no laws).

This is why I like open-carry laws - you can accidentally expose your concealed gun (and be seen by an anti-gunner) and there's no risk of being accused of "brandishing".

I really wish the state would clarify the law and put out some kind of documentation that explains, clearly, what the signs do and mean exactly. I'm starting to think they purposely want to keep it ambiguous so they can give the signs more implied power than they actually have.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really wish the state would clarify the law and put out some kind of documentation that explains, clearly, what the signs do and mean exactly. I'm starting to think they purposely want to keep it ambiguous so they can give the signs more implied power than they actually have.

The moment there is an official sign is the moment you truly can't miss that sign without breaking the law. I like things the way they are personally.

DamnYankeeOK

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
HB2221 is going through the state legislature right now and it clarifies what the gun buster signs mean. It passed the house unanimously and has been sent to the Senate. In a nut shell, if passed as written, they will hold no weight. You will have to be asked to leave even with a sign. If asked, you don't leave, and a peace officer is called, it will be a $250 fine for trespassing. Not a criminal action and nothing done with your permit.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Leave sleeping dogs lie, less government intervention is a good thing. Feel free to post the sign all you wan't it allows us to disregard them with a certain amount of impunity. I like going to the movie theater. I've heard I can't carry but every door I've ever walked in hasn't had a sign... The moment we give that stupid sign the weight of law is the moment I'll tell I'll the whiners I told you so when they ***** because they can't go into a place that has a no guns sign posted.

Sometimes I think you people are dense, we have a good thing don't screw it up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom