CCW Dilemma for Wife

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKSDC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And finally ... If you do all these things, don't be surprised if she becomes a better shot than you...

This... Can't tell you how many wives I have seen shoot better than their husbands. I assume its because women are usually more PATIENT in applying the fundamentals of shooting than men :).

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This... Can't tell you how many wives I have seen shoot better than their husbands. I assume its because women are usually more PATIENT in applying the fundamentals of shooting than men :).

That, and well, they don't have the preconceived notion that being a "natural" is somehow directly tied to the size of ... well ... Mr. Johnson ... :D

SigInBoots

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sign her up for Girls Day Out at Oklahoma Personal Defense: http://oklahomapersonaldefense.com/schedule.html

She'll get loads of practical information in that class which is for women only, including learning safe gun handling, grip, stance, sight picture, appropriate holsters, finding the right gun, and a few things that one would never pick up in a class where men are present. It is a fantastic introduction to handguns, but even women who have been shooting informally for years find that they learn something new there. Very relaxed and non-threatening. My sister and I attended together when we first became interested in shooting and it launched an affinity for guns for both of us.

I can't suggest strongly enough that your wife tries several different guns in order to find the one that she likes best. As someone above said, if she doesn't like it, she won't enjoy shooting it, and that kills all of the fun and most of the interest in having one on your hip.

I've got a 9mm S&W Shield and a Sig P228, and love them both. The Sig is easily my favorite, but it's a bit bulky for carry. For practice, though? I've never fired a 9mm or higher that I like better. However, the Shield is a lot easier to hide.

SigInBoots

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

I'd love to have a legitimate statistic to back me up, but I've heard from several sources that women tend to be better shooters right out of the gate than men are. Those of us who weren't raised around guns also don't tend to have an overconfidence about them. We understand that they can be dangerous and begin learning about them with the idea in mind that we would really rather not shoot ourselves or anyone else. There's a sort of caution about them, then, that men don't always display (even if they have the good sense to actually treat guns with caution and respect). We also, as a sex, tend to prefer to "get things right" (ever tried to tell one of us that we're wrong about something? How did that work out for you?) and so are careful with guns at every step along the way in the learning process.

RT66

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those little plastic .380' are rather snappy for most womenfolk. Full size 9mm would keep her shooting.
I tried the other route but now she handles and shoots an M&P 9 quite well.

OKSDC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd love to have a legitimate statistic to back me up, but I've heard from several sources that women tend to be better shooters right out of the gate than men are. Those of us who weren't raised around guns also don't tend to have an overconfidence about them. We understand that they can be dangerous and begin learning about them with the idea in mind that we would really rather not shoot ourselves or anyone else. There's a sort of caution about them, then, that men don't always display (even if they have the good sense to actually treat guns with caution and respect). We also, as a sex, tend to prefer to "get things right" (ever tried to tell one of us that we're wrong about something? How did that work out for you?) and so are careful with guns at every step along the way in the learning process.

While I can agree that I have seen several females in a couple shooting be the better shot out of the gate, I tend to disagree with the notion that its because women are more cautious about the dangers and respect the gun, while men are more overconfident being the reason. I'd say you are more on the right track with the theory about being around guns growing up as I have found that rifle or shotgun shooters who have never shot pistol, tend to have bad trigger control habits and is harder for them to squeeze the trigger versus yanking it. They we're able to get away with it to some extent shooting shotguns but it shows up dramatically when they go to pistol. I'll take someone who has never shot before any day of the week as they will not have those nasty bad habits to break. Everyone has heard the saying it takes x amount of reps before something becomes a habit, well the same can be said about breaking bad habits.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haha. What would you say about females who have that same preconceived notion?

You know ... I've only met one ... She was really ... ahem ... how shall I say this delicately ... ahhhhhh ... mmmmmm ... a bit "manly" ...

She was helping teach a class I attended and decided to make an example outta me, I guess. Not really sure exactly what her problem was as she didn't grab on the guys like she did me. Anyway, it didn't go quite like she planned. I don't take kindly to being shoved around. And I really don't take kindly to folks, male or female, grabbing my weak hand when I'm on a hot firing line. Didn't take any more classes from that instructor either ... :grumble: If I'd been less mannerly, I'd have dropped my magazine, racked out that live round and pistol whipped her right there! Good Lord she made me mad! It's funny now (especially since I don't think she's "assisting" any longer) but at the time I was furious!!

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I can agree that I have seen several females in a couple shooting be the better shot out of the gate, I tend to disagree with the notion that its because women are more cautious about the dangers and respect the gun, while men are more overconfident being the reason. I'd say you are more on the right track with the theory about being around guns growing up as I have found that rifle or shotgun shooters who have never shot pistol, tend to have bad trigger control habits and is harder for them to squeeze the trigger versus yanking it. They we're able to get away with it to some extent shooting shotguns but it shows up dramatically when they go to pistol. I'll take someone who has never shot before any day of the week as they will not have those nasty bad habits to break. Everyone has heard the saying it takes x amount of reps before something becomes a habit, well the same can be said about breaking bad habits.

I tend to agree with this also. When I taught shooting and assisted with SDA classes I found that men who had grown up shooting tended to think they already knew how to shoot and had a lot of bad habits, again, which when you move over to pistol shooting, become apparent IMMEDIATELY. Some of the most dangerous behavior I've ever seen exhibited on a range have been by women who were there with their fellas wanting to show how "feminine" they were.

What it comes down to is neither sex is better or worse than the other, it's just they their bad behaviors are manifested in different ways -- some men's inability to admit they don't know everything there is to know about guns can make them unsafe to be around and some women's inability to stop being helpless and take control of learning a skill that is not necessarily considered feminine can make them unsafe to be around. Either one of these types of individuals can get somebody hurt or worse, in a heartbeat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom