Cheap bullet stop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dolang1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a bag of rubber mulch from Sam's for $7 or $8 & filled a 6 gallon bucket. I cut a square hole on the lid & put card board inside before I put the lid on to hold the rubber in. I hung it on the wall with a bracket & a bunji cord. I found the first 4 45 acp bullets 12 to 14 inches deep. I loaded these for target shooting, so they're kinda light. It was easy.

image-2304048372.jpg

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
God forbid you have a flyer right? As much as I love shooting its just not worth the liability of attempting to rig something like this up.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a bag of rubber mulch from Sam's for $7 or $8 & filled a 6 gallon bucket. I cut a square hole on the lid & put card board inside before I put the lid on to hold the rubber in. I hung it on the wall with a bracket & a bunji cord. I found the first 4 45 acp bullets 12 to 14 inches deep. I loaded these for target shooting, so they're kinda light. It was easy.

View attachment 29399

I want to see what happens when you miss the target and hit that electrical outlet.....

......video please.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, odd man out as usual - I think it's a good idea in principle. Have been thinking of something similar (if a bit larger in scale) for those occasions where I need to work an action or lower a hammer with a live round in the chamber. Years ago it was a 35 gal drum filled about 2/3 full of loose sand with a hole cut in the lid and the base buried in the dirt at an angle, was wondering what (if anything) might be in use today - hadn't thought about the rubber mulch idea.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just made something similar. To practice competitive .22 pistol shooting, I filled a 5-gallon bucket with sand. Then, before the lid went on, I laid in several layers of rubber from a floor mat (about 1 1/2" thick total). I build a little cradle that holds the bucket on its side in a spot under my work bench. All I have to do is roll my workbench to one side, tape on a target sheet, lock the door, turn on the exhaust fan and fire away. At some point, I'll need to replace the lid and I'll dig in there and see how far the bullets are making it into the sand.

Sure, my "firing range" is only 15' long, but it lets me practice my standing technique several times a day and it's reaping great benefits. I'd never travel to the gun club for that much practice.

dolang1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I live in the country so there is nothing behind that wall but pasture & trees. I've shot a lot of phone books over the years & I've never had a flyer, but my brother was sighting in a laser & missed the phone book. Caulk & paint fixed that.
The bullets that I have taken out look good enough to reload. Grooves from the barrel was the only marks on them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom