chicken butchering...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BTW, I think I scared him. :D He's a lot nicer to me now ... :naughty:

I watched my gramma do it once when I was a little kid and she never had any trouble out of me from that day forward... My grampa was full blood indian and a rancher, he did all the beef butchering on their ranch and since my gramma cooked for the ranch hands she did the chickens. My mother grew up eating almost everything that her parents either grew or raised. Im jealous.

My wife does the chicken killin and or butchering at our place. She learned prepping animals to cook from her dad who does all his own. He's their family butcher. Our kids wont even help her cut up a chicken.

My dad did up some great rabbit, squirrel, prairie chicken and pheasant, etc. I used to crave that gray gravy from the squirrel on bisquits as a kid.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To answer your question BB I've never killed anything except for some mice that were in my house. So yes, very much a city boy in that regards.

People need to kill what they eat. The cycle of life where carnivores and the prey is lost with most people.

Milk comes from a jug, and meat comes from the grocery store.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry for late reply but yes it was. She is prego now so hope this next one goes better.

You might line the bottom of her cage with a big piece of cardboard and light layer of soft hay when you think she is due. It won't be too hard to clean up after she has the litter and if she does the same thing again, it might save your babies. If it doesn't work, at least your wife can take comfort in the fact you guys tried. Good luck!!

And good job subprep on the butchering. It only gets easier.

This is true ... Although I have to admit that sometimes, even after all these years, it still bothers me a little bit from time to time ... I try really hard to make sure my kills are fast and as painless as possible.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought I'd resurrect this thread to bring you this bit of yummy goodness from my weekend. Cornish Cross birds.
i237.photobucket.com_albums_ff116_meekslab_Mobile_20Uploads_2015_03_IMG_5589_zps4ypfie3m.jpg

I personally killed this bird an hour prior to this picture, in that hour it sat in an ice bath with 10 other birds. None of the other birds had the green meat.

Turns out it is a condition called "deep pectoral myopathy" and fairly common in the fast growing meat birds. The pros say it's safe to eat the meat that isn't green but that bird went in the garbage. Is store bought chicken thrown out with the same condition? http://ps.oxfordjournals.org/content/85/10/1843.full

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is store bought chicken thrown out with the same condition? http://ps.oxfordjournals.org/content/85/10/1843.full

They might just add some food coloring and call it good. Thanks for the yummy image btw.

Saw this quote in the paper you posted "The fillet should be removed, whereas the rest of the carcass is still fit for human consumption (Jordan and Pattison, 1998)"

Thanks for that. :shocked:

Latest posts

Top Bottom