Clean Lakes to Picnic

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of you may remember that I moved to OK just over a year ago. Having scouted countless acres of public land around Keystone, Skiatook, Ft. Gibson, Oologah, and Grand Lake, there's still something I really haven't found.

Back home we used to pull the truck up onto the lake shore, dig out the cooler, easy-up, chairs and BBQ and hang out on the lake all day. At night, we'd light up a bonfire on the sand. While I've found one such location on Keystone, the water there is obviously less than ideal for hanging out in. The wife doesn't even want to put a foot in it.

Can you guys who knows these lakes well offer some advice on location (especially around Skiatook, Grand or Tenkeller) for us to "beach it." Somewhere away from the big crowds but still reachable by truck? Wanting to head up this weekend, but don't wanna spend hours searching for it.

Thanks in advance!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just read that Skiatook is 6' below normal pool level. They are shutting down one of the marinas because of the low water. I wouldn't think it would be hard to find a place there, but don't get there often enough to made a recomendation for an exact spot.
I love to do the same thing.:D

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
there are a few lakes that i'll put my white boat in (i like to keep it white). murray,tenkiller, broken bow and sometimes grand or arbuckle. most of our clean lakes are void of much beachy areas. except for the swimming areas, they kinda frown when you pull up in a truck and build a bonfire there.

if the wife doesn't like keystone then you've seen 90% of what most of our lakes look like. they are kept churned up by the wind most of the time.

that being said, the best thing to do is get a boat and scout a lake out. have your folding chairs with you and maybe a litttle grill.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I doubt you will find such a spot because most of the shoreline is COE controlled. I think what you are looking for would be in a campground and then you still might not find it. Sorry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom