Colt revolver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pistolpete95

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Need opinions on what looks like an older or poorly kept Colt pistol. From the barrel stamp I’m guessing chambered in 38 Long Colt. I thought it was an old gun but the grip gives me pause. Wasn’t the birds head grip a 20th century design? Researching for a friend.

Attachments

• IMG_2526.png
    IMG_2526.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9080.jpeg
    IMG_9080.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
That’s a Colt Lightning. It’s not poorly kept, it’s old AF. That’s probably a 19th century gun by the patina. And the grips look very correct for a first gen Lightening. They did have a type of plastic then. Very very nice.

Whatever you and your friend do, don’t make it better. Don’t sand it, don’t polish it, blue it, refinish it or anything like that or you wipe out its value…almost all of it.
It looks completely original.

Go here and plug the SN and you’ll see when it was made.

https://www.colt.com/serial-lookup

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They were only made from 1877 to 1909. So chances are good it was made some time in the late 1800s. Very nice gun. But it looks like the old black powder and time haven't been kind to it. Way cool...
Any idea how many there might be? At this point in time it seems like just having one in any condition would be extremely rare. Way cool is right!

sushi & pistols

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is My Colt Model 1877 from 1886. I believe this is what you have. They came in a Nickel and case hardened frame with blue barrel. There were a few made in .32 colt nicknamed (rain) .38 Colt (Lightning) and .41 Colt (Thunderer)

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 10+.jpg
    10+.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 0
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Top Bottom