Cool Piece of History

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, I'm in the process of trying to sell my house in Olustee. The realtor asked me if I still have the abstract book I was given at closing. I do. I got it out of the file cabinet this morning and remembered how cool some of the stuff in the folder is in terms of history.

The first recorded transfer of ownership of the piece of property where the house is took place in Jan 1900. The property was transferred from the United States of America by President William McKinley to a man named Thomas Hardin.

I've never seen anything like that though I hear it's common in Oklahoma. It's just cool (to me, anyway) that I owned a little piece of property with a recorded history like that.

Abstract.jpg

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I'm in the process of trying to sell my house in Olustee. The realtor asked me if I still have the abstract book I was given at closing. I do. I got it out of the file cabinet this morning and remembered how cool some of the stuff in the folder is in terms of history.

The first recorded transfer of ownership of the piece of property where the house is took place in Jan 1900. The property was transferred from the United States of America by President William McKinley to a man named Thomas Hardin.

I've never seen anything like that though I hear it's common in Oklahoma. It's just cool (to me, anyway) that I owned a little piece of property with a recorded history like that.

View attachment 347006
Interesting that it says it was formerly recorded in Greer County... was that maybe part of Greer County at one time, or is there another reason for that?

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting that it says it was formerly recorded in Greer County... was that maybe part of Greer County at one time, or is there another reason for that?

I have no idea...

ETA: Apparently it was originally Greer County, later became Jackson County (which it is today).

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to Wikipedia, that part of the state was originally Greer County, Texas, but that was disputed by Texas and the US gov’t, and it was assigned to Oklahoma Territory. When Oklahoma was admitted to the Union, it was split into three counties.

One of our members has family property in that area, and he mentioned that his grandmother was born in their house while it was in Texas and lived in it while it was in Oklahoma.

cboss

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I first moved out here, I mentioned in my New Member thread that my great uncle had owned a furniture store in Enid. A member reached out to me and we chatted a bit about the store and he let me know it's now a brewery. I did a google search and found some old photos of the shop.
9915433_orig.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom