Cops Make How Much?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Singularis

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.caseyresearch.com/cdd/cops-make-how-much

"I should be making $80,000 per year."

I had arrived early at the local middle school for our weekly pickup basketball game, and was casually shooting baskets and chatting with the only other early bird, a youthful Vermont State Trooper.

"But when I finished the academy, New York had a hiring freeze, so I came to Vermont to get a job. Vermont only pays me $70,000", he said.

I found it curious that he would share such private information, since we had just met five minutes ago. But my thoughts quickly turned to his earnings. Earlier in our conversation, he had said he'd only been a cop for two years and went to the academy straight from college. That, along with his boyish appearance, suggested that he was no older than 25.

Given that Vermont is the second-safest state in the country, and the sleepy ski town in which I reside is probably the safest place in Vermont, I wondered why this real-life Super Trooper earned so much.

Then again, maybe I was just naïve. Perhaps he strapped on a bulletproof vest every morning and went to battle with the hidden criminal underbelly of Northern Vermont. Maybe the reason I'd never heard of anything remotely resembling a real crime up here was because he and his cohorts were doing such a good job preventing it.

"So what do you do… you know, on a day-to-day basis?" I asked.

"Mostly patrol the highway and make rounds," he replied. "There's a lot of paperwork, too. Once in a while I get a call about a crime, usually up in Whoville." [name changed]

His reply solidified my view that $70k is an unreasonable salary for a 25-year-old Vermont police officer. But I certainly don't blame my new hoops companion for seeking out the best pay he can get; that's only human nature. It's not his fault that around these parts, one of the best ways to make a good living at a young age is to become a police officer. He followed the incentives.

No Respect

I recalled our encounter when I came across this survey that polls Americans on which professions they most respect. "Police Officer" is near the top, along with firefighter, doctor, teacher, and a few others. Financial and business occupations—accountant, stockbroker, banker, business executive—garner little respect.

But most notable is a profession that's missing altogether: entrepreneur.

To me, that's a travesty. More than any other occupation, entrepreneurs deserve thanks for civilization's progress. For every product or service you use, an entrepreneur took a personal risk to turn his or her vision into reality. An entrepreneur is the reason you're sitting in a comfy chair right now... the reason you have a computer... the reason this missive traveled thousands of miles through the air, to your computer, for free.

So where's the love?

[ . . . ]

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In all actuality they should make 100K a year and drive LX430 on the job. EDIT, or whatever the current Lexus large Sedan is 460...

If they do their job correctly, I wouldn't have a problem at all paying them that much.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I quick Google session will prove this is just another cop-baiting internet B.S. session.

Vermont Trooper pay caps out at $78K after max steps are achieved (without becoming an LT or other rank above Patrolman)....doubtful a 25 year old Trooper is making close to that cap.

But hey, any excuse to jump on the cop hating bandwagon right?

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very few people make what they are worth, just ask them.

The people I think are underpaid include police officers and military personnel. Everything else is market driven as it should be.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I knew it was BS when he said he was incredulous his new friend would so casually share his salary with him. Public servant salaries are public record. It's no secret.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom