Corn Prices and Alternatives

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I was to loose my marbles and start feeding deer I would do;

Plant a plot of winter wheat, raised organic.
In my neck of the woods, when I do winter wheat for my self I get a flush of red clover you'd swear I planted.
Maybe build a roofed hay feeder and put out organic clover hay I baled myself, but hay would only be put out in season.

Have any of you that feel the need to feed the deer ever consider making a deer watering station where they can get a good drink of water? I know you all can get awfully dry down there, a nice drink of water might go further than feeding!

Wow! $10 / 40# is $14 a bushel!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I was to loose my marbles and start feeding deer I would do;

Plant a plot of winter wheat, raised organic.
In my neck of the woods, when I do winter wheat for my self I get a flush of red clover you'd swear I planted.
Maybe build a roofed hay feeder and put out organic clover hay I baled myself, but hay would only be put out in season.

Have any of you that feel the need to feed the deer ever consider making a deer watering station where they can get a good drink of water? I know you all can get awfully dry down there, a nice drink of water might go further than feeding!

Wow! $10 / 40# is $14 a bushel!
Deer basically don't need a water hole for the most part. Woody browse is 45% water. Their systems have developed where they can extract that. During the big drought in the 2010 years I think it was, we used molasses tubs everywhere to create watering stations. The deer never used them, but made great hot tubs for the coons that did! LOL.
I'm talking off the cuff now and don't know if this is true, but during that three year drought we saw tons of fawn skulls in the following spring. Speculation is that does with fawns need more water to make milk for the fawns.
There are people out there that know more about that issue than I do, so I hope they contribute.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Deer basically don't need a water hole for the most part. Woody browse is 45% water. Their systems have developed where they can extract that. During the big drought in the 2010 years I think it was, we used molasses tubs everywhere to create watering stations. The deer never used them, but made great hot tubs for the coons that did! LOL.
I'm talking off the cuff now and don't know if this is true, but during that three year drought we saw tons of fawn skulls in the following spring. Speculation is that does with fawns need more water to make milk for the fawns.
There are people out there that know more about that issue than I do, so I hope they contribute.
I accidently ran across a company outa texas making some sort of deer watering system.

My thinking is a nice clean pond with the wildlife and moo moos fenced out, but with a windmill pumping water to a stock tank (or old metal bath tub) and a overflow diverting the excess back to the pond! Fresh!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I accidently ran across a company outa texas making some sort of deer watering system.

My thinking is a nice clean pond with the wildlife and moo moos fenced out, but with a windmill pumping water to a stock tank (or old metal bath tub) and a overflow diverting the excess back to the pond! Fresh!
I have a pond on a couple of farms. I've killed tons of deer from them. There are deer tracks around the ponds, but not many which tells me they don't need a water source. Plenty of cow tracks but few deer. Its my honest opinion, but the company in dallas is selling a product that is not needed.
Set out a kiddy pool, put a camera on it and prove it to yourself.

Latest posts

Top Bottom