Could the proliferation of psychotropic drugs play any part in mass shootings?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

808racer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would expect psychopathic people to have a history of psychotropic drugs... It doesn't necessarily mean the drugs are a cause of their extreme behavior.

If you ask me, we're pretty lucky that there aren't more nutjobs loose in this world. Global population has doubled in the last 40 years... makes sense that we'd have at least double the amount of freakazoids running around.

Good point. Kinda like saying everytime I put on a rain coat, my dogs refuse to go outside. Has nothing to do with my rain coat, but everything to do with the rain!

flybeech

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think that more than anything, the proliferation of psychopathic people plays the critical part in mass shootings.

It's good to know that the psychotropic drugs that have become so widely promoted and prescribed and have been found in the system of every mass shooter in recent memory doesn't have anything to do with the problem. I see now that the increase of psychopathic people that commit suicide and mass shootings must be due to some other reason than the psychotropic drugs that all contain warnings of violent behavior changes. Big-pharma is only trying to help us lead much better lives through the miracle of modern medicine. Who knows how many more lives can be saved if we can just get more people on these miracle drugs I never dreamed of when I was young, long before routine mass shootings, or these miracle drugs.

Thankfully, the message is getting out through massive marketing campaigns of big-pharma and we can save even more lives, if we can only get more people who tell their doctor they feel sad sometimes, so he will diagnose them with depression and start the path of a new, better life with serotonin re-uptake inhibitor. This rash of completely naturally occurring psychosis that only coincidentally exponentially increased with the introduction of SRI's can be stopped, the sick people can be properly treated and their medical records can be widely dispersed so that they can be disarmed.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's good to know that the psychotropic drugs that have become so widely promoted and prescribed and have been found in the system of every mass shooter in recent memory doesn't have anything to do with the problem. I see now that the increase of psychopathic people that commit suicide and mass shootings must be due to some other reason than the psychotropic drugs that all contain warnings of violent behavior changes. Big-pharma is only trying to help us lead much better lives through the miracle of modern medicine. Who knows how many more lives can be saved if we can just get more people on these miracle drugs I never dreamed of when I was young, long before routine mass shootings, or these miracle drugs.

Thankfully, the message is getting out through massive marketing campaigns of big-pharma and we can save even more lives, if we can only get more people who tell their doctor they feel sad sometimes, so he will diagnose them with depression and start the path of a new, better life with serotonin re-uptake inhibitor. This rash of completely naturally occurring psychosis that only coincidentally exponentially increased with the introduction of SRI's can be stopped, the sick people can be properly treated and their medical records can be widely dispersed so that they can be disarmed.

Since you quoted me with respect to this, I feel obligated to respond directly.

I personally am not in favor of the incredible amount of medications prescribed in psychiatric care these days either. I have direct and personal experience with a variety of them through my nutjob ex-wife who went through about a dozen different ones before finally giving up on taking anything (Ps. she is still crazy with or without them). There were days when I certainly felt as though the medications were making her behavior worse and there were days when I felt they might be having a positive effect. I also have a good friend who has found the right medication for his condition and even though he's a bit nutty, the medication evens him out and allows him to live a more healthy, enjoyable and productive life. I do also firmly believe that the medications are too prevalent and handed out far too often these days and I think that is a shame when most who are on it may just need some counseling or a dose of reality to learn to live with life.

All that said, I am no expert on chemical brain function, but neither are you or likely anyone else on this board... so to make a layman's jump and blame the medication for these disturbed people going off the deep end is, I think, simply your conjecture fed by a desire to seek a cause and solution with perhaps a tendency to accept conspiracy theories.

The bottom line is this: Crazy people do crazy things regardless of their medications and I would expect for people who are capable of reaching this level of crazy to have some prior history exposing that fact. These are not sane individuals who were "feeling a little sad one sometimes" as you say, got some psychotropic drugs, and then went on a murder and mayhem rampage. These individuals were already greatly disturbed and likely capable and predisposed to taking this action with or without psychotropic drugs.

I'll grant you this much... I would like to see further study on it and I would like to see our society stop handing out these pills like tic-tacs. If what you say is true, given the vast proliferation of these drugs, we should be seeing MANY more problems. I'm not going to jump on board the blame train and offer these medications as the sole cause for what is akin to a scorpion stinging someone. It's in their nature to begin with.

Latest posts

Top Bottom