Couldn't believe what I heard

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was looking for a few fox squirrel tails yesterday in order to have some custom road runners made for myself and some friends. I did not have any tails in the freezer. I called the, latest arrival, sporting goods box store to hit OKC and asked for the fly fishing department. The operator connected me with the fishing department. I asked if they had any fox squirrel tails in stock. I was met with.....................................is that a brand name? Huh? Do you know what a fox squirrel is? "Not really" was the response. Do you know what a grey squirrel is? "Not really" was the response. Do you hunt? Can you guess the response?????? "Not really". "Get me somebody that hunts". GEEEZ LOUIS!!!!! Is this real? "Hello, may I help you"? Do you hunt? "Yes". Do you know what a fox squirrel is??? "Yes". I am finally getting somewhere, I think. Do you have any in stock?? PAUSE, "we used to but we have been sold out for 3 -4 months". This is a consistent pattern with this particular box store. Nobody knows anything about their department, much less where anything is located in the store. Who the devil hires these people? Are they not asked if they have any knowledge about the department they will be working in? This is not the first time this has happened in this store. Please excuse my rant, but what is this world coming to??:pissed:

I finally located a pile of tails from a hunter who did not ever work in a box store. Thank the Lord for someone who hunts.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had a similar situations with every "sporting goods" store I've been in lately. No one knows ANYTHING about what they're supposed to be selling. The local Academy is the absolute WORST.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Bass Pro OKC 2 years ago.....buddy was going to redeem some Bass Pro points and buy a new .300 Win mag. Guy behind the counter attempts to sell him some .300 Weatherby ammo for it. Told him it was the same thing only faster..........

firefighterguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't really trust anyone working in retail. I say this because I worked it for 2 years. They just hire people with no experience in the Dept and let them learn. Of course their are exceptions but when I was at Home Depot I was shocked at how little people knew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh the irony in the statement. "I finally located a pile of tails from a hunter who did not ever work in a box store. Thank the Lord for someone who hunts."
A hunter needing to go to a box store to buy squirrel tails. Lol

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
People in retail are just looking for a job. Academy or Home Depot are not going to spend a lot of time educating their employees on the difference between this plumbing piece or that plumbing piece, or this type of bullet or that one, when that employee could quit in the blink of an eye the next week. When I worked at Lowes, they did have a "Pro" on staff....electrical and plumbing, who was there to be a subject matter expert.

I hunt and fish routinely, and although I've heard of a fox squirrel, I didn't know that had anything to do with fishing.

Hunting is increasingly becoming a rich man's sport. Why should you expect someone making minimum wage to know much about it?

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think hunting is a rich mans sport...........it's a rural mans sport. More and more people live in towns and huge sub divisions and have no place to go or mentors to show them what they can do. Huge difference from me growing up in Osage county with a creek/river/woods in my back yard to kids growing up now with nothing but houses around them that have a "community" pond.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
More and more people live in towns and huge sub divisions and have no place to go or mentors to show them what they can do. Huge difference from me growing up in Osage county with a creek/river/woods in my back yard to kids growing up now with nothing but houses around them that have a "community" pond.

Thats what i mean. To hunt now you either have to own your own land, pay thousands of dollars a year for a lease, or be a part of an expensive hunting club.

Yes, theres public land...but its a crap shoot on public land, since the animals are so pressured.

Hunting is increasingly becoming a rich mans sport, rather than the way of life it used to be for the common man.

Latest posts

Top Bottom