Crow Hunting....Need HELP!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiearmory

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will be doing a crow hunting contest next month as a fundraiser. Can anyone give me some pointers? I have a FoxPro I use for predator hunting that I will add some more crow sounds to. I was planning on using the run and gun approach. Start at daylight sit up call then move to the next location like I do when predator hunting. I have been reading online to see if there is anything I might need to know. Some guys use #5 high brass pheasant loads and some use #7.5 or #8. Using pheasant loads seems like an expense outing just to shoot something I will not eat. They said the guys who won it last year had a little over 100 birds and 2nd place was 60 something birds. Some people say use decoys some say they don't. Its all for fun and a good cause but I would like to make a decent showing if possible. I remember years ago when I got my first cassette tape predator caller putting a crow tape in to see what would happen and had several come in right away. I shot two and went back up to the house and called it quits. That is the extent of my crow hunting. I spend months every year in the field and woods hunting deer, hogs predator and the occasional pheasant just never went out for the day to hunt crows.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good cano is paramount. The first crow comes in as a scout. Don't shoot him first thing. Let others come in once the first one announces all clear.

After shooting immediately switch to crow in distress and sometimes they will come back.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a Foxpro Crossfire a few weeks ago, and all I've had to do is turn on "crow fight" and in under 3 minutes start shooting crows. It's pretty crazy how they've come in to it.

Toothpick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This fundraiser intrigues me, I'm trying to come up with a good fundraiser for my son's baseball team.
Do you mind telling me how much the entry fee is and how it is split up for winners?

okiearmory

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure how the winners are split up. But the entry fee is $100 for a 4 man team. They are also raffling away a shotgun and have other donated door prizes to give away. They have a local business that will serve as the check in spot and the business is providing dinner for everyone as well. I will let you know how the pot will be split once they finalize it.

ahamay6

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm in Ada and can probably get a couple of teams entered. Keep me posted on details. I've never done it, but have been told to sit in a cedar tree and I believe they said to use a crow fighting an owl to call.

Long Barrel 44

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a Foxpro Crossfire a few weeks ago, and all I've had to do is turn on "crow fight" and in under 3 minutes start shooting crows. It's pretty crazy how they've come in to it.

Myself as well. I took my Crossfire out and after I didn't see any predators I noticed 3 crows off in the distance. I hit the crow distress and they came to the call on a string. I shut it off as they flew in and circled around the call. They flew off and hit it again and they came right back. Pretty neat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom