Custom Rifle Information

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lady brought in two rifles for consignment. I am trying to learn more about them and come up with a fair price.

The first is a custom build by Dale Wise out of San Antonio. It is a Winchester 1917 action in 240 Gibbs. Beautiful wood and a Unertl target scope. The phone number for Dale Wise is no longer in service so I guess he is no longer in business. Has anyone ever heard of him or his rifles?

The second is a Winchester 1903 Spingfield with a Mannlicher style stock in 30-06. Again very high quality work but no maker name is visible. It has an old Leupold scope.

Anyone have any ideas about value on either of these? Thanks for any info you can provide.

Mark

ENC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw a very well done and later found out very good shooter Mauser go for 400 recently. Unless you can find any info out on this Dale Wise, I'm gonna say it would be hard for them to command premiums People just tend to veiw them as another sporterized milsurp when in alot of cases they are much more.

Evan

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will try to get some pictures tomorrow.

I still don't think Winchester made 1903s but that is what the guys at the store said. I think he got the two confused.

T.R.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
winchester made 1917's but not a 1903

they are made by springfield armory and rock island armory and remington

That is my understanding as well. The only other possibility might be Smith-Corona Typewriter Co. They made 1903-A3s during WWII but no plain old 03s that I am aware of.

As to the possible value of these two rifles, well, there were thousands upon thousands of 1903s 1903-A3s and 1917s sporterized during the 1950s and 60s. Some showed outstanding workmanship, others, not so much. I do believe that being chambered for the 240 Gibbs will hurt the value of the 1917. Not that there is anything really wrong with the caliber, but it is strictly a handloader's cartridge. There is no factory brass available, so cases will have to be made from the parent 30-06 brass. We may be able to give you a better idea of the value of these two rifles once you get the pics posted. Try to get some good closeups of any markings.

omegis13

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dale Wise Custom Guns

1402 Blanco Rd
San Antonio, TX 78212

Tel. +1 210.734.9999

I called it and got the message machine for the store. Good luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom